1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towing Behind a Motorhome

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by nitehawk64, Mar 28, 2007.

1. nitehawk64

nitehawk64 Junior Member
    from 46391

1995 Cherokee Sport 4 Dr 4.0 Command-Trac Thinking of towing behind my Class A Motor-home. Any thoughts and what is the proper way to do it?

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Iv'e seen it done plenty, I don't know what else needs to be done other than putting transfer case in neutral.
  3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

brake controller or even a trailer would be best way to do this
  4. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

The "toad" needs a baseplate (Blue Ox, Roadmaster, etc), tow bar, safety cables, rear lights on Jeep (diodes for existing, magnetic mount or drill the tail light housings & add new bulbs), possibly auxillary braking system in Jeep. Make sure the front end has a good alignment.

Put Jeep transfer case in N, transmission in P if auto, turn ignition switch to 1st on to unlock steering wheel, parking brake off & go, but don't back up:eek:

If you have a plow rig set up on your Cherokee, then the baseplate may not fit. They may use the same mounting points. I had my tow bar modified to fit my SnoWay frame on my 2000 Cherokee. I haven't towed it yet, but I don't see any problems with it. The snow plow frame is much stronger than any baseplate.

Try this site for more info: http://www.goodsamclub.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/31.cfm

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I was going to say try trailer life. I didn't know for fact but I thought all you needed was to put the transfer in neutral, but I wasn't sure. I have a tow bar for my plow frame. Iv'e flat towed a few, nothing long distance though.