1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towing and Transmisson Maintenance

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chcav1218, Jan 13, 2010.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

My truck has about 180,000 miles on it and I have driven it for about the last 40,000. I have a few questions about the maintenance of my transmission because I am going to be towing a heavy 35' camper trailer about 1500 miles.

First off, I have been told not to have my transmission flushed because I don't know if it has been done regularly in the past and could stir up debris and cause problems. Is this true or should I not worry about having it flushed?

Second, Should I install a transmission cooler? They're not very expensive so I wouldn't mid doing it. Is it worth it?

Third, What kind of brake controller should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help guys

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

JMO but it is a cardnal sin to flush a transmission with many miles on it.. I personally did it years ago.. Thought I was going to be nice nice to my truck.. give it some love.. flush the tranny fill her up with nice new fluid.. she went nowhere.. tranny job.. oh and yes it was right before a snow storm..

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check out this thread for a effective and safe exchange procedure you can do yourself. Post #2.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=92981&highlight=fluid+exchange

Synthetic Fluid will give you the best protection, and run cooler.

Your truck probably has an auxilary cooler. If not, add one.

For a brake controller, the Tekonsha P3 is very highly regarded.

4. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

Do you know if it has the original tranny or if the guy before you had it rebuilt? If he had it rebuilt, say, around 120,000 miles or more, then I wouldnt be concerned with changing/flushing the fluid, as this is about the time when a new tranny would be flushed. If it is still on the original tranny....DONT TOUCH IT. 180,000 miles on a tranny that spent its life doing towing and plowing duty is excellent, and flushing it can only hurt it as you may be on borrowed time anyway.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i hope you have towed before, because thats a big trailer and if you dont have trailer breaks then you obvisoly havent pulled a double axle yet. becareful bout sway too

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

just a once. it was and 18' dual axle flat bed with a tractor on it. its gonna be interesting.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

"Letting a sleeping dog lie" when it comes to transmission service is one of the biggest wives' tales ever. People run into trouble when they go to quickie lube shops, or any other garage - including dealers - that are doing trans flushes rather than a proper filter change and service. It is much faster, and therefore profitable, for a tech to pull a cooler line, connect a couple of hoses, and pump out a few quarts of fluid. Also, by not dropping the pan, they reduce the likelihood of a call back due to a leaky pan gasket. The procedure I outlined in the linked thread is perfectly safe. I have done it several times, and it is endorsed by the best mechanics on this site and others.

What kind of trailer will you be pulling? Fifth wheel or "bumper pull"

8. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

Hey chcav1218, does your truck have a trans temp guage?

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

thnx 2cor. unfortunately its a bumper pull. im kinda nervous about it. any pointers?

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

and JD, no it doesnt have a trans temp gauge.

11. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

B&B where are you??? LOL What's your input on this? I have heard exactly what 2Cor said, "that not touching a 'neglected' higher mileage tranny is the best bet" is a wives tale and may stand true for some old school transmissions, but is not detrimental on modern trannies when done correctly...

Matthew

12. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

put one in it, you''ll be glad you did, and before you get on the high way with this thing, make sure you can drive with it regulary and figure out how high youll need to set your breaks to.

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Believe me it is a bunch of horseshyt!!! My truck has 156k on it, flushed the trans as outlined in that thread around 154k, do plenty of towing in the landscaping season and plowing all winter. Trans shifts smoother and runs cooler than it did when I got the truck with 85k on it. Do it yourself, very simple job and you dont have a clown trying to get off easy and make a few bucks without doing the job properly!! Alot of the new fluids have good additive packages in them to help recondition old seals with a bunch of miles on them. Stick with a good mobil one synthetic or amsoil, you will need the long filter for the 4L80E, flush that torque converter out and you will be happy. Your truck is the same as mine (unless it is the obs with the 5.7) so dont let people scare you or fool you. The truck does have an aux trans cooler providing it has the tow package/plow prep which it more than likely does. That is more than fine for a stock truck pulling a heavy camper. Pulled my car from Cleveland Ohio to Kansas City, Missouri this July while the temps out there were in the 90's without the trans temp going near the 200 mark. As for the controller, I personally run the tekonsha prodigy and love it!!! Very easy to adjust for a heavier load and much nicer to stop with the brakes being applied more or less pending pedal pressure. Worth every penny for me

14. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Is it a simple install or will I need to get it done by a shop? I plan on going on a few short test drives to see how everything handles.

15. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

Before I was concerned with another cooler (im sure your truck has a stock cooler) I would install a trans temp guage so you're not running blind. Are you going to be going through any mountains? Do you know the the LOADED weight of the trailer is? What is the rear end ratio of your truck? Sorry for all the questions but I would hate to see you ruin your truck.

2COR517, I did the same sort of bucket flush on my 4l80e, except I cut the square part off of the filter and connected a hose to the neck of the old filter and pulled the oil in that way out of a bucket. I put a utility sled under the tranny to catch the old fluid because the fluid literally came out of the entire bottom of the tranny, not just in 1 location. I then had to add the capacity of the pan back into the tranny via the dipstick hole. I understand that many problems related to transmission flush failures are due to the high pressure flush, but is it possible that the detergents in the new tranny fluid could could cause crud to break loose inside of the "dirty" tranny and still cause a failure?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Two words for you. Hensley Arrow. Google it. Go to RV.net and do some reading there too. Those guys are the experts on towing.

Put one in soon. That way you will have an idea what is normal.

B&B "endorses" the procedure in post #10 of the thread I linked.

17. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

My truck is the same as yours. I'd love to see some pics of it sometime. I think im going to do a fluid change like that thread says. I'm hoping to have it rebuilt this summer.

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well if you have the Silverado 2500 4x4 with the 6.0, then you will already have a trans temp gauge in it. It is on the lower left side of the dash cluster below the driver info center.

I will have to get some new pics of the truck soon. Havent done much on the exterior as of yet, all my money is under the hood, lol

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never heard of anyone doing it that way. Sounds messy, and very risky to me. Risky because if the hose came out of the filter inlet, you would pump the trans dry. Plus, you are pulling unfiltered fluid into your trans.:nono: With "my" procedure you just need a piece of 3/8 fuel line into a bucket. I actually use washer fluid jugs. You can see the color change easily, and you don't have to handle the old ATF again.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  20. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

That anti sway hitch looks pretty sweet but its $$$$$$