1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towing a 7000 Lb Boat (?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cosmic Charlie, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

I need to tow my new to me 2008 Crownline 255 CCR boat that weighs about 7000 pounds including the trailer, about 100 miles on the highway (mostly flat), with my 2011 HD 2500 6.0 / 6 speed.

Question is:

Do I just keep it in drive
    Do I just keep it in drive & push the tow/haul button
    Do I just keep it in 5th, (no overdrive)
    Do I just keep it in 5th, (no overdrive), & push the tow/haul button
    Do I - You tell me (other)

I'm not sure if it evens makes a difference (either)

Thanks

C

2. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Put in manual 4th, in tow hall mode. If you are on very flat ground you can run in 5th tow haul mode.

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd put it in manual 4th so it'll run like a 4-speed in tow/haul. 5th and 6th are useless when towing at low speeds. If you intend to do like 50+ I'd go manual 5th and tow/haul

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A couple of our trucks run the same eng/trans combo, pull similar loads daily, & in similar conditions. The above option seems to work best for us.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No offense, but we're having this debate over a measly 7k? What would you guys do if you had to actually tow a real load somewhere? That's what the truck is made for.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

lol

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd put it in Drive, tow/haul and hammer down. 7k isn't anything, truck shouldn't really notice it.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Come on Mark13........

the above post are are somewhat true.......

........if we were in the 80's

These are not your grandpa trucks, stick in top gear and tow/haul mode. The truck will shift based on whats needed.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

All you are trying to do is keep the trans from shifting in and out of gear or "searching". The Tow/Haul button will change the shift patterns and increase the TCC lock up pressure. When I tow my 6k lb camper behind my Tahoe, I run in 3rd and turn the tow/haul button on. I have found that I hardly ever got in to od when I ran it, so i just keep it in 3rd. I also wont use the cruse while towing, as a downshift will really make the rpms scream.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've had to manually correct the truck's choice in transmission gear use. Weather it's a 4,000lb trailer loaded with a couple atvs or a 30,000lb gooseneck loaded with equipment or hay I leave it in drive with tow/haul on. I will change tunes on my truck but I let the truck sort out the shifting on it's own. If it is hunting between two gears for more then a minute or two I'll manually lock out a gear but usually it does a fine job on it's own.

When the truck needs a several thousand dollar scan tool to pretty much do anything besides change the oil or rotate the tires I think it can handle figuring out when to shift up or down 95% of the time.

11. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

drive with tow haul mode on unless its gonna be shifting in and out of overdrive then shut off overdrive

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm not saying its the best decision, but I can't tell you the last time I used tow haul. Nearly 20k behind me almost daily, and used to be well over 20k often.

Granted, not a 3/4 gas truck, but TH is TH...........

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I like the down-shifting, keeps me in the powerband to hammer down !!!!

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. The turbo braking in my tuning is a really nice and useable feature as well.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Powerband you say? I'm talking about a stock 6.0 PSD here........slow and steady wins the race hahahahahaha.

The downshifting is a nice feature of the TH. But during my daily routine it's a pia sometimes. Lots of stopping and starting, and I like keeping my R's down.

Again, I'm not recommending the OP following suit here, just sharing...........

16. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Like these two said, 7k isnt much to worry about.

Only time i have a disagreement with my tow haul is going downhill of all things. When the tow/haul is on, the truck wants to downshift and hold back, which is great. But on long downhill grades it likes to downshift a second time about halfway down and hits 3rd at 55mph and she really gets to screaming. So when i get to a long downhill grade i'll turn off OD and turn off the tow/haul so it just stays in 4th.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Hills.... It's a Galena thing. lol

18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I'd blame it on Galena but most of the county is that way!

19. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Well I brought the boat home today - total weight was 7400 lbs
    110 miles all at 65 mph with cruise on -highway all the way
    drove in 5th (out of 6 gears -6.0 gas) with tow/haul On
    tranny ran at 155 degrees - hardly ever shifted up or down except on some long hills
    I usually get 14 mph combined and towing today got 10.5 mph

Thanks for all the input (and wise ass comments) comes with the territory

photo.JPG

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

sweet boat