1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

towing a 4x4 jeep

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nkayser, Oct 19, 2007.

1. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

I know this is kind of off topic but I need a quick answer and you guys know a lot!

but my friend has a newer jeep. We went 4 wheelin in it and then it stalled out, and we cant start it back up.

So it needs to come home. I have my dads gmc sierra. My question is if I have to use one of those car dollys that only take the front wheels off the ground and drag the rears what should I do since its 4x4?

can i put the transfercase in neutral? what about the trans? neutral too?

Or should we just take the driveshaft off?

thanks
    Nick

2. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

also its about a 20 minute drive if that matters

thanks again
    Nick

3. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Just take the rear drive shaft out. That is the best way of doing it.

4. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

if I take the drive shaft out, is it going to leak fluid out of the transfer case?

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Correct it will leak all over and you could get dirt inside too.

1. Start with the key in the "accessory" position.
    2. Depress the brake pedal.
    3. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
    4. Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
    5. Start the engine.
    6. Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
    7. Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
    8. IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
    9. Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
    10. Apply the parking brake.
    11. Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.**
    12. Release the parking brake.

Anytime,;)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of Jeep? Wranglers are different than most Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. If it's a Wrangler you can use neutral on the transfer case for short distance. If it is an AWD with no neutral you can't do it, unless you pull the driveshaft. Safest thing is to pull the driveshaft anyway, if you have the tools. Don't remove it from the transfer case end, just unbolt the rear and tie it up SECURELY with a ratchet strap. Make sure it can't hit the spinning yoke if the suspension cycles. Then you won't lose any fluid. The tow bar rules are for flat towing, the problem comes with binding down the front wheels while the rears are allowed to spin.
    If you do decide to do it in transfer-neutral, stop after five minutes and feel the transmission pan/case. If it's not getting hot you should be okay.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

this is for wrangler Rubicon Serra

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

But that's for a tow-bar flat tow. He was talking about a two wheel dolly.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

....................;)
    First. Yes the TJ has the front driveshaft spinning all the time due to the front hubs being "locked" all the time. However the older YJs had a front axle disconnect that actually disconnected one axle shaft and therefore the driveshaft didn't spin due to the differential (try swapping a YJ front driveshaft into a TJ and you will get vibs due to the fact that the front driveshaft wasn't balanced due to this). As the transfercase is the same between the YJ and TJ (well not exactly, they did change the clocking a couple of degrees), There is no mechanical issue with the front shaft NOT spinning and the rear spinning as this is what happened in the YJ all the time in 2wd.

Secondly, the oil pump of the 231 transfer case is located on the rear outputshaft and runs when the rear shaft is spinning (it is a pain to get back in place when you swap the shaft in an SYE swap). Therefore there is no reason why the transfercase would have an issue with not getting lubricant as long as the output shaft is spinning.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  10. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

thanks for all the help guys!

We ended up unbilting the driveshaft from the rear diff and leaving the front of it in the t case. then we ratchet straped the drive shaft up.

thanks for the help. the jeep is now home in its garage. Now only to find out whats up with it

thanks
    Nick

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Do they have a collision fuel shut off/rollover shut off? Maybe a hard landing activated it.

12. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

its an 89 wrangler so i dont think it has that fancy crap :)

im gonna go over there tomorrow maybe and see whats goin on with it.

thanks
    Nick