1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tower comes down

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by qualitycut, Dec 29, 2010.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

When I unhook the pins that hold the plow to truck mount the light tower goes down by itself. Is that normal I dont remember it doing that. Also fluid came out of plow when this happened. I just changed the fluid a few days ago.

2. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

My experience is with the rt3 mounts. Once the pins pop out the tower will lower with gravity, but according to the owners manual you are supposed to power it down with the switch on the tower. If you do not do this the manual warns that an air pocket will get in the hydraulics and oil may come out of the over flow. This has happened to me before when I forgot to power it down.

I would cycle your hydraulic cylinders several times then check and top off your oil. Then power it down from now on.

Hope this helps.

3. qualitycut

Yea I always have but I had to fix my plow and to be honest I may have not changed the fluid properly. Should it be in V wnd tower up when I add the fluid?
    And what position should I check it in thanks.

4. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

The plow should be in the same position to fill and check the fluid. In the V position after moving both wings and raising an lowering it. Then place it in float and check and add as needed. If you over fill it, it will over flow the extra fluid on its own.

5. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Correct, wings back in V and cylinder down, just need to keep it on the truck to keep the motor level to drain, check, add fluid.

6. qualitycut

so check with tower down also? Or do you mean add fluid with tower down?

7. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Yeah im getting a little confused now and the Boss manual is a little vague when it comes to the position of plow and tower when checking fluid.Manual says blade straight and nothing about tower being up or down to check fluid unless I missed it somewhere. When i took my plow off last storm,after putting latches in off position i powered it up to release pins wich worked fine, then when i powered tower down it kinda drifted down slowly not like it was powering down.So i powered up again and worked normal,powered down and just drifted.I think this is normal since the controller is in float position.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To accurately adjust the fluid level you do it with the plow attached to the truck on reasonably level ground and on the ground and if it's a vee, with both wings fully retracted. A straight blade can be checked in any angle position. No need for any confusion. :salute:

The light tower will lower on it's own simply due to gravity if there's no drag/resistance of any kind from the mount. Doesn't create a catastrophe, simply be quicker on the toggle next time.

9. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Pretty handy guy to have around eh ... 'ole B&B :salute:

10. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Thats the same thing I said in post #5, dont know why it has to be more confusing then need be...

11. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

what is the float mode on a str8 blade RT3

My switch on the tower will not make anything happen.....am a new plow owner ,but not new to plowing.This is driving me nutz.There is no Floatmode on the controller,and i cant get the tower to respond

12. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

heh heh ... 115 degrees out and a plowsite thread hits the inbox, lol

You don't say what plow or controller you have ... but with the handheld you activate float mode by a quick double-tap on the Lower button or hold the Lower button down for a few seconds until it lights up red ... if my memory serves me correctly.
    You can also find the manuals for all plows on the Boss site ... if interested.

13. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

8.5 str8 blade

will do,and being prepaired is in the boyscout handbook ya big dummy...................thanx lottts:salute: