1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towehome Assoc. Question???

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowbizplowing, Sep 22, 2009.

1. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

I'd like to start by saying this site has been an great resource for me thus far just from searching posts and reading up on some of the members. i have read the posts and searched for town home associations and was just looking for a clearer idea of what might work for me. i'm just asking this questions as reference point to start. This is my second year plowing and i've decided to take it to the next level due to recently being laid off. So i've added a truck and bought a couple snow blowers. I have the opportunity to bid a townhome community in my area in close proximity to another account i have that is a commercial property. i have mostly done residential driveways with the exeception of a couple apartment complexes, commercial parking lots and a couple gas stations. I am trying to give this customer a good price to secure the account but i don't want to get stuck. they have asked for a per push and per season price. i live in the suburbs of chicago and we have some pretty good snows up here 15-20 times per year. I am bidding per 1-3 inch 3-6, 6-9 etc.. i will need to have one truck for the streets and have both blowers going with a crew of two for cleanup and sidewalks. the specs are as follows. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Truck: 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD w/ Western 7.5 ft Plow
    1/7 mile of 2 lane
    630 feet side walk off street
    36 15x15 ft driveway
    36 units w 10 foot of walkway and porch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We do a good amount of HOA work. They are demanding clients want a 3" trigger, then call at an inch. Every one thinks their the boss. The boards change often so your loyalty factor is very little. A good management company does make things flow smoother though. These have been my experiences. Good luck. They do pay on time (generally), some even early, which is always a good thing.

3. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

Can you make any generalized comments on how i should price? i've always used shovels and now i will be using staff and blowers?? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    scj

4. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

Ok i'm trying to prepare this proposal this afternoon so i'm sorry if i keep posting in this thread but this is what i've come up with so far. can ANYONE PLEASE let me know how far off i am? i'm just having a hard time with the snowblowing i've always ran with a guy with a shovel for walkways... Also would you charge the same for snowblowing the sidewalks as you would to salt?

1/7 mile of 2 lane $125
    630x5 feet side walk off street snowblowing 472.50
    36 15x15 ft driveway snow blowing $180
    36 units w 10x5 foot of walkway and porch snowblowing $270
    TOTAL: 1047.50 per push (10% off if contact signed before nov. 1st)

Seasonal: 14,500 21 push max $550 every additional push

1/3 down upon acceptance, and 1/3 due after 7 pushes, and 1/3 due after 7 additional pushes (so basically pre paying for 7 events at a time) is that typical or is 5 more standard? any advise would really help me. thanks
    scott

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

you are high on your snow blowing numbers. The city walk will be bid bid by others at 2hrs with an atv or less... it is one eigth of a mile. With a blower going slow at 2mph making 2 or 3 passes, you are clearing 1/3 mile in an hour. Not sure how big thoose porches are, but the unit's walks are 50% higher than the actual drive.... I'd rethink the walks. Just my .02 good luck.

6. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

Thanks so much on your input. That is exactly what i needed help on was the snowblowing i just couldn't quantify it properly and then used someone elses 15c per sf and it seemed high. so maybe i'll figure

1/7 mile of 2 lane $125
    630x5 feet side walk off street $200 (2 guys $50 hr) pay bees $20 per hour
    36 15x15 ft driveway plowed $150
    36 units w 10x5 foot of walkway and porch $180
    Salt Sidwalks $250 When ice is present or antipated

TOTAL: 655 per push (10% off if contact signed before nov. 1st)

Seasonal: $9,995 (3650 savingsover per push) 20 push max $475 every additional push

1/2 down, balance once 10 pushes have been completed

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

you'd be very competitive here... probably slightly cheaper than the bigger co's, which is probably what you want to hear.

8. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

BIG ACRES :drinkup:ThX SO MUCH!! i've been on here like a vulture searching for info that would put me in a competitive position. I am just taking a larger plunge and am not trying to hit it out the ballpark with this one HOA. Do you think the Seasonal is sufficient when we have an avg of 40 inches but the past couple years have had more like 60 so as long as i designate pushes 1-3 in then i should protect myself with the anything over 20. 20 pushes can come in 5 or 10 storms who knows. i think with the seasonal i will be at around $500 per push which is ok but i think i'd like to make a little more per visit even on seasonal i think i will up the season price by $1000? which would put me at 10,995 or 549.75. i will be paying two guys $40 each expenses would be averaged at $200 so that would leave me 269.75 profit per storm so roughly $135 hr. Seems fair????????????????????

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Pricing is reigonal. We use trucks or bobcats, so the pricing will be WAAAY different.

10. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

If i did the math right your going to do the drives for less than 4.50 per drive , that seems a little on the low side, just my two cents

11. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

they will be plowed in about 3 minutes each they are barely 2 cars wide and ome car deep any im thinkin alittle more then an hour to do all

12. big acres

big acres Senior Member

No problem... we have slightly higher annual snowfall, but the 20 push number is about right for a 1" contract. Most HOA goes seasonal with lawn (5mo snow/7monthlawn), so I have nothing really to compare it to off the top of my head. The 135 per hr is about right for a small operation, we try to get a bit more on average for two-dozen trucks on the road. Glad to help.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree, think about your long term investment and all the work it takes to maintain your equipment and replace part, damages that MAY occur, insurance, etc, etc....dont sell yourself short, JMO. Good Luck!

14. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

Funny i actually ended up going with the prices stated above and a local illinoisin is doing HD for this(see link) now i'm worried i'm too high...his lot is 6xbigger................

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=84346

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Dealing with HOA, is alot different than doing a commercial parking lot....as Mike here states just a few of the issues. So strategy to pricing is different also.

16. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

Well after long hours of phone, mail and emial soclicitaion i've got the green light to bid on another associaiton. This HOA is quite different from the one above i'm going to so some preliminary estimates and measurements and will post them soon. I saw the property today and it is quite different from any i've bid before.................... pulling hair out of head :bluebounc

17. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

hey so did you get the first HOA? with that price they should of i would of been close to your 14,000 price

18. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

so no salt?

19. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

won't know for another week or so. i hope so. i got another qoute i'm doing in your neck of the woods where is are your boundaries?

20. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

We go from the lake to Schaumburg and like north ave in the city to like highland park