1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Towable Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lotsoflights, Oct 27, 2004.

1. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

Hi,
    Is there a company out there that has a spreader that can shoot salt or sand that is able to be towed by a truck? I would rather not install a spreader on my truck and just hook it up as needed. Any ideas???

Craig

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Our very first spreader was on a tamden trailer. It was just a normal 2 yard spreader with all the control cable lenghtened to reach the cab. This allowed us to tow extra weight, unhook at the site, plow the parking lot then hook back up and go to the nest location. Greastest problem was, as the salter unloads it does this from the front to the back putting more weight on the rear of the trailer which would lift the rear of the truck and make for some interesting driving. We didn't have this long as having it on the trailer made it very easy to steal. If you try this you have to drive very slow and corner slow as the trailer wants to continue going straight. The biggest is anyone can tow and therefore many different people could use it.

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I recommend the Epoke, as I have witnessed their work. It spreads in a good pattern and if you plow sidewalks, it maintains one sized path, as it's a drop spreader. So you won't be getting salt/sand on the lawn.

Sincerely,
    Jake