1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow Straps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by millsaps118, Dec 20, 2006.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I was just thinking, I broke my tow strap last year and never replaced it. What kind do you use, and what should I stay away from.

2. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I use a Pro Comp strap 3inch wide 30,000lb I believe. I got it from 4 wheel parts wholesalers.
  3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

A 3inch strap should work but just for good measure I carry a 6inch. Its a little long 30ft. but just rap it up and double it back. If that breaks some one is realy stuck. King I think you need a new avatar too. lol.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I carry a 2"x20', a 3"x30 and a 4"x30 strap. The 3" is what I normally use for most vehicles, the 2" is just for extra length, the 4" is for bigger vehicles, trucks, or for length. I carry about 8 clevises and some short 4' to 8' choker straps for wraping around frames and what not, they are cheaper than the long straps if they get cut. A hook is good to have to for spots you can't wrap a strap around. If you get your strap dirty from mud or sand, wash it out good before you use it again, the grains of dirt or sand will cut and weaken the strap, also dry them out, wet is ok to use but frozen and you damage it. They will mold if you leave them wet. I try to take good care of mine, they cost alot, may get me out of a jam, or take my head off if they fail.
  5. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I use a 30' tow chain and never broke yet. pulled truck and tractior trailers out with it useing backhoes and dozers. So I think it will work just fine on cars and trucks stuck on road side. just my 2 cents.
  6. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Stay away from any tow stap with a hook. If the strap breaks it will go flying. When pulling someone out, always put a towel or a jacket over the strap, rope, chain or winch cable so if it snaps and recoils the item you put over it will prevent it from hitting you. I saw a strap break a rear window before.. I also saw a rope snap and almost take a buddies head off. Winch cables are espically dangerous, they can cut you in 1/2 I have heard.
  7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

they actually can't, Mythbusters did a study. But they can cause severe pain.

Chains or straps are the most effictive method of unstucking. Chains will break eventually, but they don't generally recoil in the same fashion as a coil. Straps are good enough for trucks and light stuff.

When a tractor or combine gets stuck in the mud good, we have used up to 3 full size tractors head to tow with a D5 dozer in front. Last time the cable was the first to snap, replaced with a chain and still barely got it out. That was stuck.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

One that can be used for towing, stay away from ones that can't be used for towing...:D
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

In my S15 I carry a 10000lb strap, the dump trucks each get a 20', 5/16" Grade 70 chain borrowed from my float trailer. Never broken one. I figure if someone is in farther than I can reach, they probably need a tow truck anyways.
  10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

" Mythbusters did a study. But they can cause severe pain."
    I was just about to say the same....i love that show
  11. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

you all are right on the strap not getting you, but, anything attached to the end will. Like say a clevis, a bumper, just hookem good. One of my buddies almost got took out with my chain when the hook broke, it flew thru the air and left a perfect imprint in the roof of his chevy blazer, he had the top off, a foot shorter and he would have been toast.
  12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I carry a 3 x 30 and thats it, my other trucks dont carry them. Drivers will see people in the ditch and try and made a extra $30.00 to pull them out instead of plowing my next account. Let the tow truck tow and the plow trucks plow!!!
  13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a strap that i want to get soon. http://superstrap.com/ adjustable length, no steel hooks at the ends. using a chain is asking for something to go wrong. if they break when tyring to pull someone out it can fly back and kill you.
  14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm not really familiar with cars at all, just truck, but on a car stuck in the snow, what are the best places to attach a tow line (rope, chain, strap, etc.) to pull from to get it out?
  15. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

4" x 30' is what I carry. Never needed more, But i also do not try to pull people out who I dont know. Unless asked by the authorities
  16. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

17. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I carry both a 30ft strap with loops on both ends and also carry a 20ft chain. People will argue back and forth about straps and chains, and I can say from my personal experience with extracting a large amount of cars/trucks over the years working with the towing company that I have never needed to replace or have broken a chain. Winch cables? All the time, straps, just as frequently. I will use a strap when something needs to be cradled, or if I need to feed the strap through the doors. Other than that, chains all the way. Buy high quality, high grade and you will not regret it. Also pick yourself up a few hook clusters with baby J's, t-hooks, etc.
  18. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I use a chain. never a strap. If you fear your chosen tool becoming a projectile throw a jacket or blanket over it once its tight, if something lets go this will absorb most of the energy and whatever breaks will fall to the ground without killing you.
  19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That's actually not entirely true.

A strap is easier to secure at both ends, and is actually superior for truck pulling when compared with a chain. Chains, however, are far better for use when winching as they do not have any stretch to them.
  20. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Thanks for all the great feed back fellas, although I think that I am going to go with a strap considering that I will very rarely use it. I just want a little insurance when the time comes to get pulled or be pulled I have one.