1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow strap

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

What is your tow strap rated at that you keep in your truck in case you get stuck? and brand suggestions? (just trying to get an idea)

* I have a 1993 dodge ram short bed *

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

15k ea. i have two, ~15-20' long

3. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

1 million pounds :jester:

4. SnowCrow

SnowCrow Junior Member

Tow Strap.

30K, 30 feet, and have broken them repeatedly.

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

15k, only 20ft I beleive...

I'll be ordering a J-hook chain set up with a bridle at the end and a cruise loop from A&W.

We use these things for years DAILY at work and they never break.

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys, keep them coming

7. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

You know Duke?

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We keep a 30,000lb pull strap in each truck. They are 30 feet long and since we have several trucks and each one has one we can almost always join two of them together and get 60 feet if we need it. We never use chains, the straps act like a huge rubber band and multiply the pulling force without transferring any of it to the truck frame like a chain would do. Another "must do" thing is to put a small, folded blanket (or coat) over the center of the strap (or chain, if you really want to use one). If the strap or chain breaks the blanket will cushion the flying end of the strap and save your truck...and possible your life.

Just figured I would pass a little knowledge on...might save a fellow plower's life! :salute:

10. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Heres another little safety tip. Straps do act like big rubberbands. If they break they will fly around. Get a strap with loops on the ends, not hooks and be positive that the tow point on both vehicles isnt going to come loose. The last thing you want is a metal hook flying through the air.
    Heres a series of pics of a tow hook that passed through the rear hatch of a Cherokee, hit the pass. headrest, and shattered the windshield from the inside.
    SnowCrow, what are you doing with your 30K lbs straps that youve broke them repeatedly? Pulling tractor trailers out of ditches with an M1 Abrams?

tow hook.jpg

tow hook2.jpg

tow hook 3.jpg

11. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Hey guys, what is a "come-along"? Looks like a hand held jack almost

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

you use the handle to crank it along

[​IMG]

13. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

come along is basically a hand winch....work good for pulling ya out of the snow if you can find something to attach too but they turn into butter when trying to use them to pull you out of muck :D

30k straps are easy to break when pulling other vehicles out of mud or trucks that don't know when to stop once they are stuck. My latest strap is about 6inches wide, and is rated at 75k, cost of 80 bucks and haven't broke it yet.

14. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Come-along = hand operated winch. Its a pully with a ratchet, handle and 20 or so feet of braided cable.
    When you say handheld jack, you may be thinking of a Hi Lift jack or farm jack. They can be used to pull with also. Vary versatile tool that can be used for alot but isnt great at anything.

Edit=Man you guys are quick.

15. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

so you have to crank it by hand? isn't that a little difficult?

16. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Ive got a 15K or 20K strap that Ive used for 4 years and havent had a problem with yet. I dont generally yank anything bigger than a midsized vehicle out of mud though.

17. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Yes.
    But, trust me, its better than nothing. The handle gives you pretty good leverage but they are limited.

18. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

they are better than nothing, i have used the ones i had to pull me out of mud up to the frame....i now upgrade to a hi-lift jack with off road kit so i can use it like a winch....alot better leverage but also alot more dangerous since the down stroke when going up can knock you out with the weight of the truck (i have experiance at that) and when letting it down it kicks up with the weight of the truck

19. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

So I take it you hook one end to the truck and the other end around a sturdy object like a tree, then you crank away?

20. btrussell

btrussell Member

Exactly right hereto learn. You hook the end with the crank to a sturdy object idealy a big tree and the other end to your truck or car or whatever it is you are pulling, granted you are close enough. Most come alongs don't have more than 8- 12 ft of cable on them so its handy to have a tow strap or in my case 5/8 hard nylon rope. I tell you you its hard to break that twisted nylon unless it gets freyed. I've tightened up on trees with that stuff till my truck was spining all fours. we also use it a lot on our boats too.