1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow Strap / Recovery Strap

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by D&R Plowing, Feb 1, 2008.

1. D&R Plowing

D&R Plowing Member

Looking to get a tow or recovery strap to keep in the truck just in case I or one of my friends get stuck. It should be heavy enough to pull a full size pickup with plow and sander out of a snow pile or out of a ditch. What do you use?

I have been searching the web and found the following.

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/recovery_straps.shtml

http://www.recoverygear.com/recoverystraps.html

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/straps/

http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/vrs1.htm

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/towstrap.htm

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

I keep 2 10ft 30,000lbs straps and a couple of shakles in the truck along with a 20ft piece of 3/8 high tensile truck chain the chain is a bit of a PITA but when you need some length I use a strap on each end and chain in between

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

20ft lift chain with the lift loop in the middle if its close enough i use the loop on my ball and flip the pintle down hook the chain under whatever it is. now if thats not long enough i trust the whole chain at 20 pull a truck full of shingles out with it. and then i have a cheap tow road and i also carry a 30 ft comealong

4. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

I keep three or four straps (2" x 20' rated at 18K lbs) and 4 shackles for connecting them. I also have a tree saver strap, and a smaller strap with hooks on both ends for cars. Aside from that I have 2 - 50' long cables and a 20' or 30' length of chain (these usually stay at home unless I know that I may need them).

Get at least two straps and at least one shackle for connecting them. A lot of times if someone is right in the ditch one strap will not reach them.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i keep a 10,000 pound tow strap that i got really cheap at menards it works fine. keep a couple clevis's in the truck too along with a receiver insert with the ball removed for a good attachement point. chains are nice becase it can be easier to adjust the length and you can hook it onto itself. i only broke a 10,000 pound strap once and it was by no means the straps fault....

6. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

just get two chains with hooks on both ends and a radial tire. loop one chain to the first truck and the tire and vise versa for the other truck. make sure they are attached to the trucks good, and bak them bumper to bumper and go like the dickens. the tire acts like a big rubber band. p.s. this will not work with a bias ply, the tire will come apart. works every time!!!

7. yancy

yancy Senior Member

I use one similar to this https://www.expeditionexchange.com/straps/straps001 010.jpg they work great really expensive but worth every penny IMO. I have pulled tractors out with it. about the only difference i mine has two hooks and is a little shorter. My dad had one on the tow truck same one for 10 years never broke. however the cheaper ones will break.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think chain is the best. If it brakes there is going to be trouble. We have one of those Yanker ropes in the 3rd link. We have used it a few times.

9. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

I stay away from using chains. I have one, but it is always last to get used and so far it has only been used when towing something lighter (logs, etc) out of the bush beyond what my other 180' of tow (all hooked together) can reach. I never use just a chain to tow with as there is no give to it and I feel that it is too rough on the towing vehicle and whatever is being towed.

10. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

12. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

My buddies dad is a engineer. And he gives like 50ft of chain at a time and a bunch of straps that when they start to fray they throw away and he takes them and gives them to me.

13. splitter

splitter Junior Member
    from Miami

simple procedure and works most of the times... zest that once I tore a bumper OFF :p

14. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I use the 2" x 30' keeper straps. All three trucks have one and my cj (mudder). These are like big nylon rubber bands. They also come in handy in the summer, ripping out bushes, posts, rocks, whatever needs moved. My buddy used a 3" x 30 to pull a full cement truck out of a guys front yard. I couldn't believe it, but his 83 bronco did it!:eek: A little momentum goes a long way.
    These are unbelievable! Highly recommend.

15. D&R Plowing

D&R Plowing Member

Thanks for all the information, I have a lot to digest. I am leaning towards the recovery strap, they seem a little safer. I would hate to have a chain or hook come through the rear window.

I guess now I just have to find the best strap for the money.

Thanks again

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Chains are also cold, heavy and dirty to handle.

17. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a couple of the ARB snatch straps. They come in 3 sizes. 20,000 to 40,000 lbs. They stretch and really work great for getting stuck rigs out. Make sure you get a recovery strap and not a tow strap.

18. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

if you do go with chains i just open my tool box lid up to protect my back winder.. but yea i prefer to pull with straps :cool:

19. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

what r u a girl thou i have had to spend like 20 mins diggin threw my bed in the snow to find my chain a few times. its like i know its in there and then it will freeze to the bed