1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow Plow ?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dogplow Dodge, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I use one at the Tim Horton I plow.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I hear that they have great breakfasts ! Thumbs Up
  4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

nothing new. CT had one on demo i'm not sure if they bought it or not. Yes the driver has full control to crab walk the unit into position with trailer steer wheels
  5. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

You need to get out of the house more often. They have been around for a few years now Iowa has 3 so far Minnasota, Missouri, Michigan have them too I believe Nebraska has a couple too here in the Midwest
  6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Maine DOT has a few of them. I was behind one on RT.9 and they used it for the hills that had truck lanes, it seamed to work pretty good.
  8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

looks like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me....
  9. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

So my question is how do these get ups not just spin right around when they hit a decent drift. I mean with the truck blade angled left making the truck want to go right and the force of the tow plow pulling on the back of the truck you'd think the moment they hit any deep snow it would just be a disaster.

I'd be interested to see the math and logic behind how these setups don't just cause massive loss of control.
  10. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

ever seen a tractor trailer go sliding down an icy hill? thats what I was envisioning....
  11. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

They aren't meant for plowing 5' drifts, they are meant for cleaning as the snow is happening. They plow with the storm, so maybe 2-3" at most. Usually here they are used on major routes only as part of a multi truck/plow brigade, and are somewhere in the middle of the pack.
  12. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

Maryland has two for rt 70
  13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

IMO a dual-wing truck would cover almost as much width with less cost, less attention needed from sleep-deprived drivers, and less potential BS.

You know what? Forget paying CDL drivers at 3am. Get a fleet of these:
    Gamers are awake and already sitting at their computers!
  14. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Actually a dual wing truck needs more attention, as they can only really be used in the left most lane of a multi-lane highway, assuming there is a median to plow snow onto. The tow plows here are always put one truck in from the median, so they are moving a lighter amount of snow than the trucks closer to the right hand shoulder, and don't have to watch a curb line as closely either.

I've seen them in use, they stay put, plow as well as any other truck out there, and will become more and more common as time goes by on larger roadways. Sure you won't see them on small city streets, but interstates and the like they work well.
  15. Midmosnow

Midmosnow Junior Member

You have asked a very good question, because most all states using math and logic said it would not work. But you had more than a dozen in Ontario with over 24 added this year.
    The first TowPLow was deployed in Kansas City,Mo in 2005, but the Viking plant in Mt. Forrest Ontario built the first commerical TowPLow. They are now also made in Missouri. It works in deep snow as long as it can discharge. You have flared ends to cast up over windrows in Canada. We now clear 2 lanes wide to 55 MPH in Mo....

16. Midmosnow

Midmosnow Junior Member

You witnessed Tony in Maine.... his video of the first winter out is at:

He is now in his 3nd winter. Go Tony...
  17. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Curious, anyone know what the drivers think of these plows? Do they like them, is it a burden, who gets picked to operate them? Be interesting to have some insight into actually operating them.
  18. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

NH DOT has 3 and 4 more on the way... I have seen them in action. I didnt like them at first but after seeing how they would they are great with a good operator and **** with a average operator.
  19. Midmosnow

Midmosnow Junior Member

Operator reactions in Ohio report

There are several state reports, but the only one which identified and reported the operators view can be found at:

www.dot.state.oh.us/.../Tow Plow Evaluation Report.pdf

Bottom line, most all operators had comprehension, (engineers had far more concerns, unless they were prevously farm boys) until they got in the truck and operated for 30 minutes. Wing plow operators had less initial concerns and readily transitioned, preferring the TP because they formerly operated right wings blind for years but quickly learned that they can now see the TP in the right mirror and it can vary its clearing path from 2' to 13'. The tough part is quit driving like a wing plow operator, who previously steered the truck to the left around objects (or picked up the wing). They are taught to hold their lane, not encroach on the adjacent lane and steer the TP in and out around the obsticle.

There are over 200 TP trained operators in MoDOT among 72 TPs. A few trucks now have 410 Hp and can clear two lanes wide at speeds over 50 MPH on rural interstates.