1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow Mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bolake, Mar 24, 2015.

1. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Wondering if anyone has change from standard mirrors to tow mirrors. I have a 2015 GMC 2500HD with the small standard mirrors that have the power adjustment and are heated wanting to change to the bigger tow mirrors .I have asked 2 body shops and parts at GM dealership and they say the harness connector may not be the same, that you wouldn't know until you took door panel off. I have seen on video's and other sites it being done with know problem. Anyone have some first have knowledge on this?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Becuse they want your business.

Why would the wire harness be different?
    Usually the harness are the same, only the switches and options differ.

3. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Thanks for the information. I to think they would be the same I can't see them making different harness as long as you order the correct year model, but I was looking for someone who has done this or first hand information on it.

4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

The older trucks were plug and play. Can't see why the new ones would be any different.

5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

May or may not have to change door harnesses and mirror control switch depending how and when the truck was built. Not just plug and play any more really for 2014-2015.

6. bumpy

bumpy Junior Member

Same here. Was plug and play on my 08.

7. bolake

bolake Senior Member

I have been researching this for awhile and this what I find out. Some say plug and play and then you get maybe. I did talk to a online truck parts store that had a set that said would fit as long as I don't have memory ( which I know I don't) and the temp probe in the mirror (which I'm not sure of) so I guess I will keep researching.

8. WSBart

WSBart Inactive

Just buy a factory set and give it go. If the harnesses don't match up, jump on one of the GM truck forums and sell them. Tow mirrors are the hottest thing since sliced bread to those guys.

9. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Seems like the only thing to do, can't find anything out guarantied one way or another.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X2 just get a mirror for your year of truck if you can.
    Then if the plug (s) don't match up for some reason
    you can always splice in.

11. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Probably will have to do that. Talked to parts man at my GM dealership and he looked up information and said GM hasn't come out with a mirror upgrade tow set yet for my truck.

12. kampfitt

kampfitt Junior Member

I work at Flint Truck Asm we made your Tuuck. They came with the small mirror or the upgraded tow mirror , only difference is when was your truck build early 15's came with older style tow mirror power adj, heat and blinker. 15.5's come with new front side leds, pwr fold, pwr adj, heat and led backup lights . It's been done over on the Durmax forum putting newest style on early 15 but power fold doesn't work. But older style on early 15 truck is plug and play. Go to Durmax fourm and look up Tow Mirror Mods.

13. WSBart

WSBart Inactive

Duramax forum and GMFullsize are great references for information

14. bolake

bolake Senior Member

My vin is 1GT22XEG7FZ100103 or would the date be on truck door. If I'm reading you right the aftermarket ones Truck parts online said would work with just power adjust & heated would probably work on mine, it has just power adjust and heated now. also they said if it doesn't have memory and temp probe.

15. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Went on the Duramax forum and did a search found a bunch of posts. See where one had to take his truck in to have it reprogramed, throwing a code, doesn't sound like a sure thing to do. Guess I will wait to see if GM comes with a upgrade if not clip-on extensions I guess.