1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow load with a Chevy 5500

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by LunchBox, Mar 25, 2012.

1. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how much I could tow with my Chevy 5500. It has hydraulic brakes, it's diesel with an auto tranny, and has 20k gvw. I am hoping I can tow 16,000lbs with it, but it's just a thought.
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

if a pickup can tow 21 or 24,000 lbs or whatever they claim why cant the 5500 tow the same? let er rip...
  3. broke down

broke down Junior Member
    from se wi

I own an 06 and have pulled 20,000 trailer plus equipment. It pulled just fine, just make sure your trailer brakes work.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Fixed. :D

Need more text so my post will work.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Hook up and go! I would put that on my 06 pickup without too much thought.
  6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

We tow that much all the time with a 4500. Never even think twice before we roll out.
  7. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

The gcw on the door says 26,000, and with this being my service truck I'll be pretty close to my gvw. It's just a thought that crosses my mind and made me curious.
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

We pulled a cat D5 w/ cab and it went like a champ.

That said, don't get pulled over and don't follow too close lol
  9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like your GVWR for the truck, not GCWR for truck and trailer. Keep in mind that anything over 10k behind a 26k GVW truck, is going to require a class A to drive it. You need to find out what the GCWR (weight that GM rated the truck to handle, truck plus trailer) is to find out your towing capacity. Don't forget about tongue weight adding to the rear axle weight, which could put you over the rear GAWR if the truck is already loaded near capacity.
  10. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Okay so the GCWR is 26,000 with a GCWR of 20,000. With that being said I can not tow my 16,000 lbs ex 60 crane around.
  11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

both numbers are not the same....one is total weight the truck itself can handle...the other is total towing weight with the weight of the truck
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You are correct in that your GCWR is only 26K lbs.Its because the weight limit on the parking pawl of the Ally 1000 is 26K.If you had the 2350 Ally it is 30K lbs.Now,that's all factory and quasi legal ratings.You most definitely can haul more trailer weight for your combo if you need to.I have been stopped hundreds of times and have never had the DOT check the door placard for GCWR.
  13. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I've never seen a gross combined weight rating placard on a truck, just GVW and axle ratings.
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

This doesn't even make sense.

Me neither.
  15. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

My bad is GVW 20,000 lbs
  16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

They're definitely there,usually not on smaller trucks.My C7500 says 50,000lbs.+.Can't remember exactly.