1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tow hooks remove?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jms plowng, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jms plowng

jms plowng Junior Member

I am mounting an ultramount mount on my 2003 2500hd Silverado LS, is it possible to keep my tow hooks? and if so how?
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

You would have redrill and tap the holes on the tow hooks to accept the bolts for the mounts. Nothing to hard to do. Might also have to put longer bolts in but I'm not sure on that one.
  3. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

really? getting mine installed next week on an 2002 2500hd and don't see how the two hooks affect the install. will most dealers find a way to keep them installed with the mount?
  4. andym1996

andym1996 Junior Member

Lost mine on my truck... the tow hooks will have to be shaved 1/4" on each side to fit between the added filler that goes in the frame for additional support. Im not interested in that, so no tow hooks. Ill just keep some pins, and use the mount should i have a problem.

*** Western only, Blizzard, the hooks stay intact.***
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Western recommends removing the tow hooks for the mount install. The western mount uses the factory bolt hole location of the tow hooks to secure the mount to the frame of the truck along with a saddle that is used on the inside of the frame.