1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tow hooks off?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by My bowtie, Mar 1, 2014.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Just left the dealer. Picking up a 2014 2500 crew cab with the 6.4.
    Truck has tow hooks and wondering if tow hooks have to come off for the plow? I've got a hiniker v I'm swapping over from my gm.
  2. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

My 2010 ram 2500 stayed on for my boss plow. I'd assume yours will stay on too.
  3. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

For Western and Fisher they say to take them off, but the brackets don't interfere. The actual bumper brackets do though. It depends on which bumper you have. For the sport bumper the lower air dam does need to be removed.

I just went through that on my '03 2500. If it's a diesel it's a bit harder still getting the bumper bolts out.
  4. vanthr01

vanthr01 Junior Member
    from WI

The Western dealer removed mine, but I had them put it back on. However, I understand a plate behind the tow hooks was removed to accommodate the plow mount, effectively reducing the strength of what you can pull with the hooks. Here's my thread where I asked the same question :)

5. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Both reinforcement plates are the same. One is flipped upside down. That plate has to be removed or trimmed to clear the bracket. The other doesn't. They likely left the plate with the lip on top in and took the other one out.

It should be fine as long as you don't try to pull a Chevy or Ford out since it probably will be stuck real god.
  6. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

My 14' 4500 had to be removed. My snows off mount used both of the bolt holes that the tow hooks used.
  7. MagnumV8

MagnumV8 Junior Member

They did not have to be removed on my 14 2500 Crew with a Boss
  8. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada