1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow/Haul

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Young Pup, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I was just reading the plowing with Allison thread. Did I read this correct some of you are engaging the tow/haul mode when you are plowing? From the two responses I read it seems like it works pretty darn good. Any advice that you can give will be welcomed.

Thanks,

JP

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Depends on what trans you have becasue different trans do different things in TH. Alot of trans just raise the shiftpoints a bit, some the TH is just and OD lock out.

With the allison I plow in TH and run around in TH with the plow on most times since it locks the converter even at lower throttle and in lower gears(part of the way through 2 is were it starts in th) this keeps the trany running much cooler if you are working it. And it raises the shiftpoints so it dosnt shift quite so much while plowing. Works great. I havent had the grade breaking feature screw with me yet but that is something you may want to keep an eye on.

3. Young Pup

Ratlover,

It is the automatic tranny no allison. I use it to pull my lawntrailer and use the tow/ haul mode all the time while I am towing. That is why I was wondering about with the plow. Rear end ratio is 3.73. I will give it a shot this year because I have picked up some more accounts.

Thanks for any more help,

JP

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

what kinda truck do you have? do you know what trans? 4l80? 4l60?

5. Young Pup

Ratlover,

2500 ext cab vortex 6000. Called to double check the trany and they said it was the 4L80e

JP

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have found no difference in plowing with the 4L60/4L80 either in or out of tow/haul. However if you are plowing long runs(roads) I would definitely use tow/haul mode.....

7. Young Pup

As of right now I have only one long run all others are short ones.

JP

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I don't think you would have a problem, but I would engage it and forget it. It should not effect gas mileage.
    If you have salt/sand on board I would engage it driving between jobs...

9. Young Pup

Thanks for the reply. I will be having salt on board. I plan on having about 500-700 pounds on board.

JP