1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tow haul while driving

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dodgegmc1213, Nov 22, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I wanna take it easy on my transmission this year, past 2 years with a 1.5 yards of salt on I always drove without towhaul and plowed in drive, and thats how I always done it in other trucks. I have pulled trailers and used tow haul and the trucks seems smoother as it should be with tow haul. So my question is driving with a full load of salt with towhaul on whether I got the plow on or not and plowing in 1st gear with towhaul, good idea? Bad idea? Concerns? Also since I put my temperature gauges in I noticed while pulling a trailer the transmission is around 180 but around 210 going up hills, now with towhaul on its smoother and is somewhere between 100-150 and around 180 going up hills, so assuming the towhaul is doing its job. Any thoughts is great thanks

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I always plow in tow/haul, but I generally don't get up enough speed to have alot of shifting going on anyway. Basically, if you feel your transmission hunting alot, turn on the tow/haul.

3. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I'm no expert but I've always understood tow haul should be used if you are carrying a full load (and , of course when you are towing anything).
    I've always used "L" for plowing and the odd time "D" in light , fluffy snow. I would be interested to know what others use.

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Only used drive for plowing. Never used low. Never used the tow / haul either. I could see the value in the tow / haul, but not the need for low. Maybe I'm wrong? Veterans?

5. dodgegmc1213

thanks. It works great all the time. Shifts and down shifts real smooth. Just want to help ease the strain anyway i can. I was told plowing in low gear helps the tranny. But should give me more torque while pushing also correct?

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just use drive. Tow hual is fine. Putting it in low gear is a waste

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I never use "D" drive while plowing I use LOW..
    (Plowing avg size lots or drives)
    shifting cause heat and slippage.

How fast do you need to go?

When traveling with a loaded salter, turn off your OD.
    the overrunning clutches can't take the load or heat.

tow haul is fine, t/h usually makes the tranney hold a gear longer before shifting...
    Shifting increases slip which equals more heat.

8. dodgegmc1213

thanks farmer.
    While traveling ill stay in D with tow haul. Then plowing ill use 1st gear with tow haul. Got small sites cant go to fast

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Negative Ghostrider.

Been plowing that way for 30 years, and I learned it from dad who has 35 years on me.

SF is correct on all accounts.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Guess I'm too impatient for that.

11. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

if your plowing in D and dont go fast,like others have said. Your truck probably stays in first any how. If you plow in TH it will stay in first even at faster speeds. I think low is a waist of time. Couldnt imagine shifting from R to L ALL THE TIME.

12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

When I'm driving a long ways to a account I'll just use drive. When I'm plowing I'm using drive and tow/haul.If the snow is deep and wet and my temperature is rising I'll go into a lower gear.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I couldn't imagine taking the time to find "D" from "R" it's much easier just to pull it down to 1st.
    or tap the shift button down while shifting to a forward gear with the new electronic gear sectors.

They like to try to shift into 2nd all the time....
    Even at low speeds.

Been there experimented with that...

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It really isn't difficult.

2 other things:

Tranny is running at higher R's so the oil is flowing more and staying cooler.

Engine is running higher R's keeping the batteries charged up.

15. dodgegmc1213

Thanks everyone, now if I can convince my brother to do that in the gmc, my dad does t/h sometimes on the ford...I try to always use t/h on the ford in the summer with a 500gal seal tank on it loaded, my brother never does, he thinks its bad for the tranny. He thinks he knows eveything

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It,s easy if the GMC is yours.

Your truck your rules...

If its his, your sol.

How you do it without pissing him off, it,s up to you:drinkup:

17. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Don't most brothers think they know best.

18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

X2!!! Its soo much easier pulling it all the way down to 1st... I've been taught that by a guy plowing for 30 years to always use first... Touch wood 10 years of plowing never had a transmission problem...

19. dodgegmc1213

unfortunately the gmc is my fathers, but he listens to me!
    also if I give my brother a few of those beers you got there, he'll listen.....maybe

And he will say the same thing about me lol thats why we always butt heads

20. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would use T/H it will run cooler as you see. I also plow with a transmission temperature gauge - only way you will know what is really going on with it.
    Drive VS 1st - all I can tell you is about your Dodge - when you put it down into 1st it will use one more set of clutches than Drive will. So it will hold more tq. I only put it in 1st if I am pushing a lot of snow.
    For the ones saying they can't find Drive and it is easier to just go to 1st. It is only 2 notches away from R. I don't look at the PRNDL when I plow or Drive.
    It really comes down to transmission temperature - do what works for you AND keeps it cool. xysport