1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow/Haul or normal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sdplowing, Jul 15, 2007.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

You guys with Allisons, do you plow in tow/haul mode or normal? I'm not carrying a spreader. I was just wondering if it made a difference.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Same here, I just got my duramax and was wondering the same question.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The best thing to do when judging whether to run the trans in t/h when plowing is by the distance your going to travel during each pass across a lot or how long a driveway might be. The Allison's have the capability to lock up the torque converter in any gear from 2nd up through overdrive while in t/h mode. In "normal" mode, it will only lock the converter from 4th gear up.The sooner you can get the converter locked up the less heat the trans will produce, BUT if you run them in t/h and right after it locks up you have to stop and reverse direction due to a small lot or a short driveway it will actually build MORE heat due to the constant locking and unlocking of the converter. Just use your best judgment for the conditions your using it in.
  4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

normal....no need for tow/haul mode.
  5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I always use tow haul...just watch your temp gauge.

For me it seems that I use less fuel in tow haul when plowing...about 1 gallon per hour.