1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow Haul Mode

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PPP, Jan 18, 2006.

1. PPP

PPP Member

I don't recall seeing this brought up before. Does anyone here have the Torque Shift transmission and use the tow haul mode for plowing? For those of you unfarmiliar with it this mode holds the gear for a longer period (higher rpm) and actually slows the truck down when you let off the gas. I have not used it for plowing, but I was thinking Hmmm would it make a difference?

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

my boss has an 06 F-250 with the 6.0 Diesel and tow command in it. He doen't plow with it, but i towed for the first time with it the other day. I will admit the first time that thing downshifted it startled me. Ususally when an auto downshifts you hardly feel it, but man did that thing pull you back. After i got use to the truck shifting down like that it worked out well, but i have never driven an auto that downshifts that hard.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's probably the modern switchable electronic version of the "shift Kit" for towing.
    In the old hydraulic valve body days it dumped the clutches/bands with no slipping.
    It made the clutches/bands last a lot longer.
    My Dad had a F-350 with one installed, it would jerk your head every time it shifted.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think it would be a personal preference thing. If I had it, I would set it up so that the truck shifted the least amount as possible. Unless I felt it was racing too much. See, I'm contradicting myself. Personal preference.

5. PPP

PPP Member

Tried it today in the wet snow.

And my verdict is I love it. At least for the wet snow we got today. It held the gears longer and pushed the 4 inches of wet slush with out much of a strain. I played with it for a while and found that it was benificial at least with the wet stuff. I can't say much for what it did for fuel consumption.