1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tow/haul mode wont turn on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT420, Dec 22, 2008.

1. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

my tow/haul mode won't turn on all of a sudden in my 2003 gmc 2500hd, no light or anything? fuse maybe? anyone else have this issue?

2. tras

tras Member

My old 99 half ton(180k miles) had this issue, i never got it fixed. Also test drove a 2002 half ton(94k miles) today that had the same issue So it must be common in the older trucks.

Never had an issue with my current 2500HD's(6.0L with 33k, dmax with 45k).

3. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

the wires at the end of the shifter could be broke from all that shifting over the years. At least thats how i fixed my 99 1/2 ton with 180k on it

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Yellow wire in the steering column and the end of the gear shift lever.

5. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

wire broke

mine did the same thing last year..wire broke in steering colum, about 200.00 to fix, there is a plastic clip that the wire is crimped on and they break...

6. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

$200.00 to fix!!! for a wire? Did you have someone do it is that why it was expensive? thanks for your help though im going to check it out friday

7. nv_my_z71

nv_my_z71 Member

How hard is it to pull the shifter off and replace the whole assembly

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not hard at all but the shifter assembly's are expensive, which is likely where most of CAT420's $200 cost came from. You can repair the broken wire on the old one for an hours worth of labor.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I tried to fix that wire on mine. Guess what? It is still broken too!!! Look around on Ebay or something first. You may luck out and find one cheaper than the dealer