1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tow/haul mode for plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gunsworth, Dec 28, 2008.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

just thought about that the other day anyone use it for plowing?
  2. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

I do because it keeps the trans. cooler.
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I use it. It helps with torque, slowing down, transferring power and cooling. The big downside of the NBS Chevy's is that the transmissions seem to not engage quickly - it's like they build up pressure before moving - seems like a safety feature for the unit which I don't like.
  4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

what exactly does tow/hall mode do?
  5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

try searching... there lots of posts on this
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

tow haul more or less keeps the truck in a better RPM range for towing. The main thing that it changes is the shifts and when the torque conveter locks and unlocks

Regular Drive Mode: 1-2-3-4-5-TC

Tow/Haul Mode: 1-2-TC-3-4-5

(TC = Torque Conveter Lock-up)
  7. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I also plow with the tow/haul mode turned on. like already said, it keeps the rpm's higher and also allows the rpm's to get higher before shifting. These NBS do dog off the line and I've been told it's the torque management that chevy put in so as not to hurt the transmissions! Mine is real slow until around 2,000rpm (somewhere around there) and then it takes off like a bat out of hell!
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

TM is nothing new, manufactures have been incorporating it for years...since the '96 model year in fact.

It is fixable if you don't like it though. ;)
  9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I really wish my 99 had a tow/haul mode for towing.The newer Chevy I drive at work I always use tow haul mode for towing and plowing.
  10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What is the advantage of converter lock ???? Or disadvantage ????
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't use it, but thats just me.
  12. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

I have a 2500 obs 99, how do yo "fix" it.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With a custom tune. Dig around on the net for names such as: Nelson Performace, Waitforme, Pcmforless and you'll find what your looking for.
  14. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

I don't use it cause it hardly shifts out of first gear. Sometimes on deeper snow I use it though.
  15. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The D-Max never feels the load in the first place so tow/haul mode would just make the driving experience a little harsher. Gas motors could benefit I'm sure, but I'd need to see a lot more than the 3-5 inch snows we've had so far before I'd use it. The Allison already does a remarkable job of adapting to the conditions so I only hit the tow button when I'm pulling more than 8K on a trailer.