1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow button on 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mistel, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I just bought a 2004 2500HD and a new Blizzard Plow for it. The truck has snowplow prep and the trailering package. I have a button on the end of the gear selector that I am supposed to push when towing a trailer. My question is, should I push this button when I plow? The owners manual is not much help. Any thoughts????
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MIS..........I have the tow haul button on my rig too.
    I use it when plowing or towing !

It raises the shift points on your trans. When I plow I
    have a long push to carry snow out back! It keeps the
    trans. in 1st gear the entire push. I think this makes
    life easier for the trans. staying in one gear and not
    shifting 1-2-3 as you push then shifting back down to
    1st. when you go to stack at the end of your push !

I used to put the shifter in 1st all the time...But discovered
    by turning on the tow/haul button I didn't need too.

ALSO: you do have the aux. light button on the dash right ?
    If ya do post here and I will tell ya where to find the wires
    in the headliner !
    Check out this GM link and print it out. Lotsa helpful plow
    prep. info. in case your dealer is clueless...............geo

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

in addition to rasing the shift points if its an allison it will cause the tranys torque converter to lock up 1/2 way through 2 and remain locked for 2-5 gears. Very good and will keep the trany cooler. I run in TH once my truck gets up to temp if I got a blade up front.
  4. Mistel

Mistel Member

Thanks for the info!
  5. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I've always plowed in 1st. Was told by a tranny rebuilder to do that. If the pushing got real bad, I'd shift the transfer case to low and manually shift between 1st and second. Is it better to plow in drive?
  6. ratlover

from IL

I plow in drive. There are many cases were going at a faster rate will tend to "roll" the snow and spread out your windrow. The faster plowing and using momentum is actually better in some cases then putting along and trying to "bulldoze" the snow. Its all an experience thing......go fast enough yet not too fast......

For a very heavy push 4low will take alot of strain off the trany.

I still have never put my truck in 4low though. Wonder if it works :confused: That is some massive amounts of torque to the wheels though :dizzy: I might go put her in 4low and do some launches.....I bet my axels would love me for that :rolleyes:
  7. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I'm sure with the Dmax you don't need low range!

i used to plow with an '86 Chevy one ton dump with a 9' Fisher and 1.5 yard spreader. It had the 350 / TH400 combo and when completely empty, weighed in a 11,000 lbs.

I had to plow a lot of the wet storms in low range, because the engine didn't have enough torque to move it and all the snow in front of the plow. The transmission would work OK if plowing in low range, but other people who drove the truck only plowed in 4 high. Needless to say, we replaced a bunch of transmissions (9 in total) on that truck.
  8. ratlover

from IL

11k empty is a whole lota weight to be hauling around

Some people say heat is the biggest killer of auto tranys but I'm starting to think people are the biggest killer of them ;)
  9. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Heat kills and so does overloading the truck by 4000 lbs!

The truck was treated like the rest of the fleet. And driven by any idiot with a license. So it saw a very hard life. The 95 F350 PS dump that replaced it gets treated like a baby compared. But it goes to show how your truck gets beat by plowing. The truck in my signature was my father's personal truck before I bought it from him. Even that has scars from plowing.
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Never use overdrive when you are pulling a trailer or working your truck under load. It's good by tranny. GM has been putting out warnings for years about this. Get this. Years ago they sent me a letter and new type tranny dip stick after I replaced a tranny just out of warranty.
  11. ratlover

from IL

depends on the trany. and allison will tow any load that the stock motor will pull fine in 5th gear.
    a 700r4 or a 4l60e is a very bad idea to tow in OD
    a 4l80e I would feel fine for smaller loads
    most tranys it dosnt matter if you plow in OD or 3rd since you will never get into OD while plowing(and if you do you are hauling the mail) but you may hit OD when traveling. I wouldnt wory about traveling in OD with a 4l80 but I wouldnt travel in OD with a 700 or 4l60

Some tranys shift different when in OD as apposed to 3rd though and if you leave em in OD it may shift to OD when you take your foot off the gas or other wierd stuff that may not be desirable when plowing.

So the better safe than sorry answer is never load a tranny in OD but if you know the tranny and its caracteristics you may be fine with OD.