1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow behing units?

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by hickslawns, Feb 3, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Anyone use a tow behind vac unit? I am considering all my options before getting into the sweeping business. I have the oportunity to pick up 2 SuperWalmart stores, and think a tow behind unit could be a feasable starting point. I want something which will deliver a quality lot cleaning, but need to keep my investment to a minimum just like everyone else in business. I know another lawn contractor just north of town has one and likes it really well, but he isn't dedicated to cleaning parking lots like some of you guys. I think I would fall into his category of taking care of our existing mowing customers for now, then possibly going all out down the road. It seems one can pick up a used truck for $12-15,000, but I am not sure how good of condition they would be in. I don't know that I want to put out that kind of money for an entry level machine, but hate to spend $5k or so on a tow unit only to be forced to upgrade in a year or two. I do not plan on pushing this service in the yellow pages. I would be satisfied with a couple Walmarts to start out and see how it goes. I guess I need your opinions of tow units, given the size parking lots described. Longterm durability? I guess they aren't as maintenance heavy according to the lawn contractor I talked to. Is this true? I think he has a sweeper type tow unit. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I recently saw a tow behind unit on ebay and from the looks it might be hard to manuvere and due to the fact it is very compact good luck backing it up. I say your best bet is look for a good used sweeper truck or look for an instert one that goes in the back of a pick up I also seen one of those on ebay the buy it now was 4200.00 so that is also an option. Hope I helped.