1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tow-Behind spreader, ever try something like this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snooker, Feb 7, 2004.

1. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with rigs like this. I suppose you could fabricate a trailer to mount an American made spreader.

2. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I think the one above is Danish. The one below is Swedish.

spri_5 maskindelar ab.jpg
  3. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

I have seen a couple of these from time to time on Ebay, however it was an american brand spreader, and it was mounted on a tandem axel trailer with blocks to keep the shoot high enough off the ground. I have not seen any in action around here, I think it's too much of a hassle to haul it around, un hook it, plow the lot, re hook it.
  4. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I read some other posts that speculated about how a loaded trailer would push the truck. Yet I see several snow contractors pulling REALLY heavy trailers. Just not on slopes, LMAO. This is a concern.

There was also speculation about trailer-sway as the load migrated to the rear of the spreader. If I decided to go this route, there would probably be a plow on front of the truck, so the whole rig would be kept under 40 mph anyway.

Which brings up the subject of tongue weight. Even if the spreader is positioned properly on the trailer, providing weight to the tongue and thereby traction to the truck’s rear wheels, you’d still need serious weight in the back of the truck. Again, staying away from slopes and not driving like an idiot.

Backing a heavily loaded trailer into a slick spot, so you can salt/sand your way out, looks like it could get tricky.

However that rig would be ready to go at a moments notice. When it’s loaded, any spillage would not be lodging its way directly into your truck’s bed and eating it alive. Spreading salt wouldn’t be bouncing directly off your truck. You don’t have to unload the spreader and take it off the truck. When it’s not being used, it wouldn’t be a hassle to move it around if the space is needed. But it would be easy to steal, especially when you’re distracted while plowing.

So I wondered if anyone that had used them could tell their story.
  5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

IMO-i would avoid pulling a trailer during any variation of inclement weather.
  6. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I saw a guy with a Vbox spreader on a utility trailer last storm, seemed goofy to me that you would have to unhook hook up everytime.
  7. jhook

jhook Senior Member

One question:

How much weight do you want to be pulling behind your truck (or trying to stop with brakes) when it is freezing rain out?
  8. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Here's a better question. Ever try something like this? Not, can I have a bunch of gunslingers shoot speculation at something they've never actually seen, much less had any experience with.

I have my opinions, but they too are based on ignorance. So as originally stated: Has anyone ever tried something like a tow-behind spreader?
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I have never seen one used ever. The swedish one looks pretty nice, with tanks on the side to hold de icing liquid. Try to search for a plow site overseas where people might have more experience with them. :D :D
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have seen them here in maryland for 10 years. You can pull more than you can carry. It is no different pulling the spreader than people pulling bobcats. Both are a bit hairy but a good driver shouldnt have a problem. All that I have seen are pulled by 4X4 s without plows and are usually the sidewalk crews. It frees up the plow trucks to plow snow.