1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tovar Snow trademarks the term "zero tolerance"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elitelawnteam1, May 17, 2014.

1. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 Senior Member

What does this mean for contracts and advertising? Can we just not use this term anymore?

http://www.trademarkia.com/trademark-details.aspx?name=zero-tolerance&tid=85587413

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Lol

That's pathetic.

I'm going to trade mark that

It doesn't mean a damn thing to me.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Great questions.

It looks like they're using the term as part of their brand and policy. It's what their clients can expect from them. They shouldn't have any problem achieving this utilizing their experience, staff, commitment and resources they have.

Not to be confused with the term when used as a specification for on site results.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  4. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Well said Jim!

:salute:

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a smart move.......:salute:

I'm in the process of Trademarking......Code Red.....:drinkup:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think I'll trademark 'seasonal contract'wesport

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

What a joke are they going to chase every plow jockey in the country that uses the term? :laughing:

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

0 tolerance®.....

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Let them have it. Zero Tolerance is a term that is tossed around much too freely in the industry, especially with the usual lack of definition in the contract regarding the term. Without definition (which I rarely see), what is zero tolerance?

Is it just a good and timely snow removal job? Or is it no snow ever being allowed to accumulate on a property, having salt trucks follow loaders/pushers as they clear, attempting to achieve constant black/wet pavement no matter what conditions occur? Well, it depends on who you ask. The contractor, subcontractor, property owner, property manager, and even the courts will all have a different answer - with the lack of an agreed upon definition beforehand.

That is my point, that too many people commit to contracts requesting "zero tolerance", but lack a simple definition of what that actually means.

All that said, I'm sure that Tovar does a great job of covering themselves, but I am just referring to the common contractor who uses and commits to that term.

To me, "zero tolerance" means that no part of the parking lot will ever accumulate any type of winter precipitation at any time. Which is of course, impossible to achieve in the real world.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I know you know, but..............

If they have salt trucks following loaders\pushers, they already failed. ;)

I s'pose, in marketing, anyone can say pretty much anything they want. I'd just hate to be selling that term knowing it is impossible to achieve, if you go by the true meaning of the words.

11. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

My thought is; what level of liability have they set themselves up for with that terminology?

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I will trademark
    "Pull your head outta your ***"
    "Zero ignorance"
    "Lowballers do it cheaper"
    "Will work for money"
    "Payment due when services rendered"

and

"Nobody gets out alive"

13. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

14. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'll be honest, this type of stuff really ticks me off. You would think that trademarks and patents would be something unique, or new.

Now we have Amazon.com patenting the use of a white background for photography. That is totally outrageous to me. Can I patent the idea of a human consuming food? And charge royalties every time someone eats dinner?

Check it out: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...feds-granted-amazon-that-you-may-have-missed/

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

"where's the beef" is trademark........

16. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Don't laugh. Intellectual property is real business. We have a great team doing ours and they have earned their keep. We will actually be selling one of our TMs. Not enough for me to retire on but it's a start.