1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tough to turn in 4x4

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScubaSteve728, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i am new to fords and solid front axle trucks. when i lock both hubs and engage the 4x4 switch and try to do tight turns the truck almost dosent want to move. is it just the u joint or transfer case just wondering if its bad or whats up. found this out before i went to go tear up a field at my buddy's house
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Its you. Don't try turning tight on a dry pavement or you'll blow something out .Start learning how to do 3 pt turns when in 4x4.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yup. Like Grandview said. Keep that up on dry ground and you'll see what the inside of your axles look like in a hurry. :(
  4. ScubaSteve728

should i lock my hubs manually also before plowing? because i know they are automatic vacuum hubs
  5. Sawboy

No need if you have the shift on the fly. I have never locked mine manually. There might be situations, deep mud maybe where it's prudent, but I've never needed to.
  6. ScubaSteve728

i heard to keep them clean and greased up and use them a few times so they aren't seized when you need them
  7. Sawboy

I throw mine into 4high about once every 3-4 months. That's all. But in reality, if the wheel is moving, it's being lubricated. The engagement doesn't change how the grease in the hub works.
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Your truck must have posi trac in the rear if it was limited slip it will turn tight in 4x4
  9. Sawboy

Not with the hubs locked. My truck is 4.30 posi rear. What the OP is describing is front wheel "hop" caused by the ujoints not being able to fully rotate and the issue being exacerbated by use on dry ground. Has nothing to do with the read end in his case.
  10. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

That's why a lot of us plow in 2 wheel drive whenever possible. It's pretty easy to break something when turning sharp on bare pavement.
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If you hubs are lock in and you have a posi trac rear end it will hop realy bad with hubs lock in
    If you have limited slip rear end you will have very little hop in front end
    I have 2 trucks with posi trac and I have 2 trucks with limited slip rear end
    The truck with limited slip will turn easyer on dry ground vs the truck with posi trac with hubs lock in
    What year is your truck has 4.30 rear end
  12. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

For fu-ks sake.....
  13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Any truck will act differently in 4wd on dry pavement, but particularly one with a solid front axle with u-joints. My brand new Ford will buck like a stuck mule on dry pavement if I lock it in, which I wouldn't, since I'm only asking for problems.
  14. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Most of them do. In fact I've never drove one that doesn't.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's like saying you have Band-aids, and adhesive bandages. Or Kleenex's, and tissues. Or Coke, and soda. Or Tidy Cat, and cat litter....

We may need to educate you on the correct category's of differentials and their differences. :drinkup:
  16. Sawboy

2007 F350 with Towboss package from factory. 4.30 rear from factory. What difference does it make? I'm still right.
  17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

There's a thing in the glove box called an owners manual that tells you not to run your 4x4 on dry pavement due to driveline bind.... Both of my trucks have a warning label on the drivers side sun visor that explains the same thing.
  18. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You need some schooling , a posi is NOT a limited slip and a limited slip is not a locker. Posi is the older way of getting both tires traction then they went to limited slip and now most use lockers. GM first with G-80 locker that engauges automaticly after one tire slips a bit , Ford now has a switch in the cab that you can turn on the locking rear end when in 4x4 . Dodge still has limited slip , so does Toyota but I dont like including them in talk about trucks.
  19. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Technically, positraction IS limited slip, just the GM name for it. There are several different types of limited slip differential, so although the GM positraction may not be the same type of limited slip as the specific type in your mind, it is still a limited slip differential.

Toyota currently uses two types of differentials in the rear of their trucks; fully open and pushbutton locker (TRD OFFROAD). All limited slip functionality is exclusively via braking. I.e., squeeze the brake on the wheel that is spinning faster. The major advantage to this type of limited slip is that it also applies to the FRONT axle, and can account for steering angle. Effectively, Toyota (and certainly other manufacturers that I'm not as familiar with) have 4-wheel limited slip.

I'm not sure how this system will react to plowing though. If its cranking the brakes too much, that can't be a good thing.

Major advantage to electronic limited slip (brakes) is that it can be disabled with the push of a button. Mechanical LSD's cannot be disabled, so if they're continually operating, they'll quickly wear out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.