1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Touchpad upgrade thoughts/ plow slamming to a stop when angling right...

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by KSlandscaper, Dec 8, 2006.

1. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

I just bought an E60 unit to replace the E47 I had (now for backup). The E60 causes the plow to slam to stop when angling right. As I've read, this is normal for the E60s. However, some say using the touchpad controller will solve this 'slamming' problem. Isn't the 'slamming' hard on the plow pivot points???

Right now I'm using the toggle switches. I am open to upgrading to the Meyer's touchpad, but only if it is reliable and is guaranteed to solve the angling problem.

Any thoughts?

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

It will stop the "slamming" of the plow. As far as the slamming causing damage, I have had no problems with any of my plows. I think that there are a lot more stresses placed on the plow during actual plowing regardless of which controller you have.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are the Meyer touch pad's reliable? Only if you keep a spare one in the glove box.

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I have the touch pad. Love it. I strap it with velco to my right thigh.

Never had a problem with it. I treat it nicely though, and always bring it in the house to keep it warm when not in use.

Im thinking of taking it out to dinner and a movie next weekend.

I suppose a spare isn't a bad idea at all. Im concerned about jealousy though.

Hmmmm.

5. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Hmmm...I'm just not convinced....yet....

I know it's recommended to use the touchpad for the E60. Is it somehow bad on the unit to use the slik stick or toggle switches? Or is this just some Meyer marketing ploy (other than no angle slamming)?

Looks like a touchpad and harness on ebay will run near $250. Ouch! I put enough dough into the plow this year alone and have yet to plow any snow!!! :dizzy:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The slikstick or the toggle switches wont hurt your E60 (or any other pump for that matter) one bit. It's not even an issue. If you like the toggle's...keep them.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you treat your touch pad like a princess LOL! Thats the only way to keep it alive. The circut boards in them are very delicate and wont survive after a few drops to the floor.

8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Sure. Keep the toggles. Who cares about the little touchpad orphans waiting for good homes on Ebay, right?

Selfish bastards.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LLM, maybe you could adopt all of them? Or if thats out of your budget maybe you could set them up with foster care? Or how about a forgein exchange program for touch pads?LOL

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  10. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

What exactly fails in the controllers?

Jason

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Usually it's the circuit board that fracture's.But sometime's they'll fry a diode or two.If you know somebody that can fix small electronic's, they can be repaired rather than replacing the entire controller.

12. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Well, that's what I was wondering. I am a ham radio operator and I might be able to repair these problems.

13. milby7

milby7 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I've had several Meyer touch pad set ups

I've always found the touch pads to be reliable, I have several spares from other trucks I've had and never had to use one. I updated 3 yrs. ago to the E58H, the newest style pump, at first it was a pain, no parts readily available so I bought an extra pump, never had to use it though now parts are available, only problem with these are the couplers, they come loose and if you're not careful tightening them you mess up the "O" ring inside, I have a bunch of spare parts for E47 & E60 plows if any body is interested, can't be used on the new style systems, that's the biggest bummer.

14. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Interested in any E47 parts you have if you are willing to ship them and the price is right. Let me know what you got and thanks.