1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Touchpad/solenoid question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by finallygot1, Nov 28, 2009.

1. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Can I use regular automotive type solenoid on my touchpad? It would have two large and two small terminals.
    Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, because the second small terminal is seldom a ground. It supplies 12V to feed power to the ignition during cranking on an automotive application.

Use the correct solenoid or kiss your touch pad good bye. :nod:

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site.
    Unless I am wrong, you can use a automotive type solenoid but it has to be in addition to and seperate from the one that runs the truck.
    Good luck.

4. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

yeah you can use an old ford style selonoid, just make sure the mounting area is grounded, im not sure if it matters which small terminal you put your activation wire on....i think they both work ive had them melt though, so keep an extra in your glovebox if you want the ultimate, go to napa and ask for a continuous duty one.

you just cant use those selonoids on western types, cause its a negatively operated selonoid (on the older units anyhow)

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And if it's the incorrect solenoid and the ground is poor it burns up the touchpad..

It most certainly does if it's a 4 terminal solenoid not designated for plow use. Which is how guys get into trouble with the generic starter solenoids, because they can be internally wires more than one way. Both small pins can be 12V, one can be ground and one 12V. Thats why it's important to know you have the correct plow designated solenoid. To much room for error if you don't know what you have.

Pointless to burn up a $300 controller over a $15 solenoid.

6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hey, B&B would you tell us which one to get so we won't have a 300.00 problem? I replace mine on my Meyers but maybe I was lucky.

John

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want a super highly quality solenoid that you won't have to replace every year and will carry the current the plow demands you want one of these: Trobetta

Best continuous duty high AMP relay out there for very little additional expence then the cheap garbage you'll buy at a parts store.

8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thanks B&B. They look like a very good quality but could you narrow it down to one or two that you recommend?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the Trombetta's are the only ones I use or recommend. Even the genuine Meyer solenoids leave a lot to be desired. You can keep one of the cheapie generic solenoids around for a spare of course but if you spend the few extra dollars on the Trom in the first place you'll likely never need the spare. They really are that good.

However, if you insist on having a local source to get a spare generic solinod if the need ever arose in a pinch then head over to your local NAPA store and ask them for p/n ST-34. Its one of the few that are three terminal and has diode suppression for the mounting plate so it will help preserve a touchpad in the event of a connection/short problem. It's also continuous duty rated...unlike a generic Ford starter solenoid.

10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I'm sorry B&B. That NAPPA part number is good news to, but I wanted the part number of the Trombetta that you would recommend. When I open that site, there are quit a few. Which Trombetta part number fits my Meyers E60 Classic?

Thanks a lot M

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry about that John, left that detail out. The one you want is a 114-1211-020.

12. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thank you so much. I will order one. That's one problem I won't have go worry about.

13. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Western and now Snowdogg use Trobetta solenoids, would they work on a Meyers with a touchpad? I know they are only about $13

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can as long as you add the dedicated ground. But the good Trombetta's aren't $13. Like everything else they have good, and best lines. The OEM Trombetta's are the "good" quality. If you want the best it requires a few more dollars.

15. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member