1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Touchpad red light comes on

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by mrfiestas, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Heres whats happening, Ive got a MDII set up with an E57H and when I hold the down button on the touchpad the green float light comes on and starts blinking and then after about a second after the light stops blinking the red overload light comes on and then I turn the controller off and back on which turns the red light off and then the plow is functional again. Anybody know whats going on? thx

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like bad controller.

3. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

I switched controllers and same thing.

4. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

Check your grounds, especially the touchpad ground. Bad connection, corrosion, or ground wire was accidentally chafed somewhere.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^this.^^^^

i just went through the same thing. took me 3 days to find where the spring shop pinched the ground wire and tore the jacket, letting the elements in corroding the wire inside. put a new ground wire from frame to pump on and all is well again.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agree,check grounds.

7. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

The "A" coil is probably going bad.

8. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Then why does turning the controller switch off and on "fix" things?

9. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

It has the same effect as disconnecting your battery to clear a check engine light. It'll get rid of the light; reset things, but it doesn't fix the underlying issue.

10. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

All the wiring seems to be ok so what I did was substitute a E60 pump in place of the E57 and now when I hit the down button the red light comes on as soon I touch it, with the plow sometimes coming down or sometimes not coming down. Plow responding normally in all other directions. Does this help pinpoint it?

11. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Replace the A coil. My dad's was doing the same thing, replaced the A coil and all is well.

12. tjctransport

you eliminated the pump as being the problem. your next step is to try a different known working touchpad. that will determine if it is in the wiring or touchpad.

13. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

I already tried that as stated in post #3

14. tjctransport

well, it is not the touchpad, because it does it with 2 different ones. it is not the pump because it does it with 2 different pumps. that leaves the wiring.
    you either have a loose ground or a pinched wire somewhere.

15. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Well the problem appears to be fixed now as it turns out it was the pump(s). I took the A coil out and apart and cleaned it. Im not exactly sure what did it, the coil had ruston it and I wire brushed it and I remember seeing someone that once pushed the ball at the end of it in and out a few times and then reinstalled it. Now, no more red light coming on.
    Thanks again for everyones advice, problem seems solved!

16. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Well, before today I was just testing it in the driveway and it seemed ok but today I plowed with it and it is improved as the green float light stays blinking on now until its released where as before it would go to red after a short while. So it is better from that aspect but not cured yet.
    Im thinking its still a bad A coil
    and from looking at it my E57 coil looks quite a different shape than the one on my E60. Are they different and does it sound like I should just be changing the valve or valve and coil?

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The coil gets it's ground thru the nut on top. Make sure this area is clean. They are two different A coils for those pumps. Small stud and large stud. If you buy a new coil pay attention as to which one you have.