1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Touch pad controller 810/8611...

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by mr.plow, Oct 9, 2005.

1. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

I'm thinking of going with the touch pad controller for my new 8611, has anybody have good or bad experiences with the use of it instead of the shoe box controller on their 810 or 8611? Thanks. They said it was the same price for either, and I have limited space for the shoe box in my truck.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If you dont have the space, and your not already used to the "shoebox" I would go with the touch.

3. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Just got the whole thing installed a few days ago but I have found three places to put the touchpad if I dont want tho seatbelt it on the seat. It is definately easier to deal with then the bigger controller but I can't tell you about how it will hold up. I am thinking of mounting it in the dash, there is a blank that is exactly the same size as the controller and I think I can get it to fit.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It would be nice if they would make a handheld controller like Boss or Western have. One that you can hold in your hand.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I had touch pad and found it sucks and gave it back. The other controler may be a bit big but works far better. Touch pad found i needed to look at it to much just no real feel to it.

6. wls

wls Senior Member

Shhhhhhh, I have one for sale, I can't comment on it never used it. :)
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=25196

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i also have the touch pad and hate it!!! the only problem is you cant tell wich button your pushing with out looking at it and that takes to long. after a while you get kindof used to it and only have to look once in a while but it still takes to long you are busy enough wahing what youre doing to have to look down all the time. as for putting it somewhere one of my drivers velcros it to the console but i like to velcro it around my leg at about a 30 degree angle then i can go straight from the shifter to the controller

8. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

Thanks. I found a good spot for thetouch pad but fro the shoe box I don't want to lift my center armreast/seat to mount it. I'll loose my armrest and close coffee holder location. :p Would it be harder to fumble with the joystick and extention buttons then one thum on the keypad? Also when using the same fingers for the touchpad would overtime the function of wich pad to press, comit to memeory over time?

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i'm telling you that it is really hard to feel the buttons on the touch pad there is bearly a bump on them to feel but if you want get it and then you will realize how mouch it sucks beween me and my two other drivers that drove it last year we ran it for 125hrs and none of us like it.

10. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I agree whith Karl the touch pad is really hard to feel what you are doing. Also dont see why you need to lift arm rest. I know in my truck it actually works out great. I have arm on arm rest and controls are at my finger tips.

11. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

that is what the guys i know do to they run the velcro strap around the arm rest and the joystick hangs right on the edge

12. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to get a big joystick that has a hard feel to it like a hydraulic joystick like on a loader. One that takes the whole hand to grab. Like the 3 sticks central hydraulic sticks in my truck. The shoe box blizzard I fell like I could break. And touch pads just plain suck.

13. Got Diesel?

Got Diesel? Junior Member

I am going to go against the grain on this one and say I like the touchpad but everone is right about now being able to feel the buttons so I took the little bump stops from the kitchen cupboards and pasted them on top of the circles:nod: . The only real bad thing that I can add to this is they have a tendency to crack around the circles over time from fatigue.:nono:

14. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I kept the joystick, but added the door mount. Now I can change gears in the truck with my right hand and run the plow with my left. No need to steer...lol

15. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

What is the door mount i can't stand it being on the right side of me Thanks

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard makes a door mount for there straight blades, power plows though are SOL.
    Todd

17. RHarrah

RHarrah Member

I just got a touch pad & all of the buttons are outlined in a ridge.

18. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

o yea they are outlined but i promise you once you use it you will realize that the ridges are hard to feel at night and you have to look down ALL THE TIME.