1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Touch and go on one of my contracts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 2, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

1 of my 10 year contracts had a few bids sent to them this year. They been hurting a little so they have been reviewing everything to cut cost.So they told me a bid was submitted at half of mine.:eek: I stopped by and talked to one of the owners and told him not a chance of me going down. They best I told him I could do was lower my price to is last years contract and I'll cut the price increase in half.:nod: Told him they know how good I do and all the good things. Didn't really say anything negative about the other company ,I just put a little bug in their ear to check with them if they charge for call backs.So I was just a little worried. Contract came back signed today!payup
  2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Nice. A little face time is what a lot of them want.
  3. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Good save. That could have been another thread on how you last a good customer to a low baller.
  4. bwrsbn

bwrsbn Junior Member
    from MN

Just goes to show that it's not always about the lowest bid!
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up good job, so did they tell you what the other bid was, or just say half?
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats .... Sometimes you need to remind customers "it's about quality service" and not "low price"
  7. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Do you ever feel like asking to see the other bid? Sometimes I wonder if theres a phantom half bid just to get you to lower your price.
  8. grandview

Most of the time if I know who the company I;ll know what type of bid it is.
  9. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Did they REALLY get other bids????????????? Or just tell you they did so you'd drop your price?????

I've often been suspicious.

Thats cool you got it back.

My 3 big properties (to me) resigned for the up coming season. All three got price increases.
    But they were so happy with our work that they didn't even get other bids this fall, I just sent over our price.
  10. grandview

I know they did .A lot of companies send out blind bids. As I said, didn't back down ,but had to split the price increase with them.
  11. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

It stinks having to give back but some times its worth that than trying to have to find new work.
    You already know the property well (after 10 yrs) and your plow is better used plowing there than having to learn a new lot.
  12. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

good save on contract ,seems this year alot of customers shopping for price ,not quality of work.i too had this happen .but i told them the same as you did , price is always not better .my years of service to them paid off . got contract with other services included. keeping in touch with accounts in the summer helps with keeping them .
  13. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I always tell my customers that you can find cheaper. But i dont do cheap. I can do affordable, just not cheap. There is a big difference. And they realize you get what you pay for
  14. Lowballers choke and die

I use to work for a lowballing idiot, right on his bid sheet he would list this guarantee...

"ten percent off of lowest contract bid"

.....wtf,,,,several of his customers created fake bids that were less than half of what they should be...and he would take the contract and honor it then screw the customer every chance he got.... that's why i'm a former employee, my name and reputation is far to important to me than have a fraud profit off my work and ruin my trade....it's the front line workers who get tarnished, (by bad owners), people see us and think we are the one's doing the cheating!
  15. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Goalie those type of scum are out there.

Karma is a very mean witch, and what goes around comes around eventually.

Good for you getting out while you still could.