1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Total newbie, too many options

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dpm64, Oct 23, 2003.

1. dpm64

dpm64 Junior Member

Hi, total newbie to the site and to plowing. I need some help making an equipment decision. Here's my situation:

1) Building a house in NW Connecticut (the snowy corner),
    2) 800' of unpaved driveway,
    3) A whole bunch of subcontractors between me and my CO, some of whom might not show up if there's a flake of snow on the driveway,
    4) Bank says I've got to be done by Feb 17,
    5) I have 2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 V8, which I use to commute to work,
    6) I also have a semi-retired 1986 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4 4cyl in reasonable shape, and least as far as the drivetrain goes,
    7)We seem to be in exactly the same weather pattern that dumped on us last year, so I expect much the same this year,
    8) Did I mention the 800' of driveway?

So the problem boils down to do I plow with the new truck, which I need to keep in good shape, or the old truck, which might not be powerful enough?

I also need to keep costs as low as possible (see #1 above). I suppose I could sign up with someone to keep it plowed, but I really can't risk being low on someone's list and have subs not be able to get in there.

Any suggestions?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would say then outfit the old truck with the plow and just plow with the storm in smaller increments.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd put a used plow on the old truck.You can use low range if needed to help push it.

4. dpm64

dpm64 Junior Member

That's the way I'm leaning. I got 200k+ miles out of the old one, and I'd like to do the same with the Tundra if possible. Seems like strapping a plow on it wouldn't be the best idea in light of that. Plus, I heard there are warranty issues, etc.

OK, so now I've got the truck picked out. How should I go about finding a plow? Like I said, total newbie. From the discussions I've read, I'd say 6.5' to 7'. Probably nothing fancy in the hitch, since the plow can stay on all season - all year for that matter. BTW, the old Toy is a 5 speed - any problems with plowing with a manual?:confused:

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Check out some of the plow dealers,classifieds,and even the classified forum here on Plowsite.

You don't want to big of a blade,or you may have a tough time getting it opened up if it's real deep.Probably a 6.5 would be the biggest.

A manual trans is fine.Using low range will make it easier to get going and save the clutch.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

A 6.5 would be fine for that truck .If you want a new set up there is quite a few that make small or light weight set ups.snoway,fisher to name a few.As far a plowing with a stick there is now problem since you will be plowing long lengths you will not be on nad of the clutch burning it up.

7. Sno

Sno Senior Member

A good contractor who knew your situation, I would think would be able to make room for you. ? Specially if it looks long term.

You may want to try and make a few calls.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree with Sno. Talk to a couple of contractors - let them know your needs. Most will have a route that they either can fit you in or not. In the short and long run, you'll save money over buying a plow.

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

As far as that goes, if all you're worried about is your own 800 feet of driveway, you might be able to find an old beater with a plow already on it. You might find one for almost what you'd have to pay for just a plow. You wouldn't have to figure out how to mount a plow to either of your current trucks, and if you're able to avoid the tempatation to drive it on the road you probably wouldn't even need to have it registered or inspected. Once you're settled in you could sell it and hire a plowing contractor, or just hang onto it and use it til it falls apart.

10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Where in Connecticut are you located?

I'd find a used plow setup and put it on your older toyota, i have a 1988 Toyota, 5 spd, 4cyl and was going to put a plow on it, but i'm going to sell it. You can find a used 6.5' plow setup for around $500-1000. I'd go that option, as you can plow at your leisure and not have to rely on someone else.

Bryan

11. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

i'd put the plow on the older truck... becides even after their done working on the house your still gonna have 800ft of driveway to clean up might as well be able to do it yourself this way its always done when you need it to be.

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I was going to say find a contractor to plow your driveway - that seemed to be the most economical choice. But since you will be having to clear your 800' driveway every winter, I would put a plow on one of your trucks. If it was my choice, I would put it on the new truck. That way you are good to go for at least a couple of years, without the worry of costly break downs associated with older vehicals. I say this because if the 86' does have a major problem down the road, you will most likely have to fix it to keep it plowing.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Chuck B.

13. dpm64

dpm64 Junior Member

The new house is in Torrington, currently living in Woodbury.

For a used plow, what do you think? Bargain News, E-Bay, or maybe one of those auctions?

14. snow

Look in bargain news, there's usually a few plow setups kicking around. Go on their website, www.bargainnews.com , i find it a lot easier to look online than in the printed edition. Look under truck parts and type in "toyota" or "snowplow". My friend might have one at his shop, send me an email if you're interested and i'll give you his phone number.

Bryan

15. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Tundra

I hate to tell you this but I will, My father has a tundra & toyota told him that if he put a plow on it that would VOID his warranty. Toyota said this truck was not ment for plowing......

16. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Snow, how many trucks do you have? it seems like everytime I turn around you have another truck or are selling one?

You running a used truck lot or what dude?
    :D

17. snow

When did i ever mentioned i had a truck for sale? If you read the post i made, i stated my friend has a used plow setup that would fit his truck.

Bryan

18. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

thats where you said it
    :rolleyes: ;)

19. snow

oops, sorry Jeff!:waving:

I forgot i had that other post. Thanks for pointing that out Nate, i must've sniffed too much magic on saturday :nod:

I do only have 2 trucks though, my toyota and my ford.

Bryan

20. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

How about adding that nice Peterbilt at CT BBQ to your fleet when you sell your Toyota? ;)