1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Total newbie - did some searching, but still have questions!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newplow, Dec 6, 2003.

1. newplow

newplow Junior Member

Hey everyone, I just found this site a few hours ago, and I've been spending the remaining time doing searches on plowing. As my name suggests, I'm a TOTAL plow newbie and I have some (probably really basic) questions. My house has a 1/4 mile long driveway. The driveway is dirt/gravel - this is the only plowing I will be doing. I also have 2 potential plowing vehicles, a 1993 Ford Explorer (with 230,000 miles and a re-build trans) and a 2000 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bouer 5.4L with trans cooler and 110,000 miles). The first question is, which vehicle should I consider (if either) for a plow? From my searches, it looks like people aren't to keen on plowing with Explorers, although the Explorer is NOT a daily driver (it goes MAYBE 30 miles/week at this point) so it would be easy to install a plow on it and keep the plow installed. The Expedition gets driven to work everyday - and I often have to drive into NYC with it, so quick/easy plow removal would be KEY if I went the Expedition route. My searching also turned up that the best plow to consider is probably a Sno-Way MT90. So.. my next question is, is the Sno-Way easy and quick to remove? I have a nice oversized 2 car garage that my trucks share, and a "carrage house" that has an additional oversized 2 car garage - so plenty of room to work on plow removal/storage. My final question is - knowing all of my variables, what would you guys suggest? I live in northern NJ, and there is a Sno Way dealer close by (Rt 17 in Mahwah) and I think there are Meyer and other plow dealers close by as well (didn't have time to search for them all yet :) ). Thanks for your help guys... I CAN'T WAIT TO START PLOWING :D
  2. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

For small jobs, they make lightweight plows. You may concider installing one on the Explorer.
  3. newplow

newplow Junior Member

Is a 1/4 mile dirt/gravel driveway conisdered a small job?
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

1/4 mile drive is small if you spend all night in parking lots. Put the plow on the explorer. Western and Fischer also make a plow for that style vehicle.
  5. newplow

newplow Junior Member

Thanks guys :)!! I'm GOIN for it - need to dig my way out of the snow we just got here... just about a FOOT - I hope the 'ol explorer is up to it!

from RI

New to Business, good people to do business with

New to the forum, new to the business. I just purchase a ez- V 8.6 plow from Snow Plow Sales, in NH. Good guys and good price $ 4,400 installed. This site is full of great information and resources. And loaded with members who are willing to help other succeeds. That is refreshing to see.

Thank you,

2005 Chevy 2500 extend cab
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard 720lt would be the choice on the explorer. Heavy duty and light weight. Blizzard 760ly would be the choice Expedition. Both are the easiest to remove and put back on. Pull up, plug in the connections, flip a switch and put in two pins. 2minutes and you are read to go.

You will find out here. Blizzards are one bad mother when it comes to plows. :drinkup: I will have one soon.
  8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Not trying to be a jerk guys, but look at the date. This guy asked about a plow 2 years ago. I hope he has figured it out by now. lol