1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Total Loss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HD61CUIN, Jan 14, 2004.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well one of my employees burned up our plow truck!!!

The 98 Chevy 3500 DRW 4x4 is a complete loss. It had a 8/6 Western Uni Mount and a 8' Vbox Gas Spreader. He was plowing during our last snowfall... I was not there. When all of the sudden smoke started under the hood. The employee got out, just as the underhood started flaming. By the time the FD arrived the truck had burnt to the ground.

The cause is still under investigation...the investigators suspect driver vehicle abuse and possible drug use during/before fire.

Oh well...now the insurance has to replace the vehicle
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

While the drug use is a bad thing, i dont really see how that would be a cause of the truck burning up.He must have been beating on it pretty hard to burn it up or some kind of electrical problem occured
  3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well he tested pos for drugs, yes that was not the cause. The final determination should be coming soon. All I know is it started under the hood. Dont know elec or Fluid related. From what I understand the aftermath of the fire destroyed much of the evidence
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

probably got the trany hot and fluid puked out onto the exhaust.

You know commercial trucks in IL are required to have a fire extingisher.

Hope ins treats you fair.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Dang, that's a pretty strongly worded cause of a truck fire! I would bet the employee could sue if he has been drug tested and that cause gets out. It could be anything, tran's fluid on the manifold, power steering hose, electrical, just about anything. Where I work you so much as ding a mirror you get a wiss quiz. start looking around for the same truck at dealers. Get sample invoices with the price on it. So when they try to low ball you on the payout you can show them what it's worth. That saved me $4,000 on a Caravan that went up in flames. They said 7K I found 3 at 11.5K they paid.
  6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Seeing how our last snowfall,and first snowfall, was only 4",he had to really have been abusing the truck or it was a mechanical failure. Anyhow sorry for your loss and good luck with your ins.