1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torwell 3 yd stainless Starter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by vis, Jan 9, 2007.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Hey guys, i have a 4 yr old torwell sander and ijust installed it on a new truck. Same wiring and everything. Seems that this year it is harder to start it in colder temps and it takes alot of playing with the choke/keys to get it to fire up.

Inside the cab controls are basic key start, where u push down on the key to choke it...just wondering if there is something i can tweak to get it to start quicker.....maybe just a little starting fluid into the carb?

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

That could be any engine driven machine....

I would start with the basics,Carb clean,tank flush set the float height,make sure there are no air leaks bad fuel line etc.Tune up...Make sure the choke is working correctly and if that doesn't fix it then I would throw in a compression test, maybe I would do that first...
    These things(Spreader) are not treated the best being out in the harshest environments so a real going over maybe in order....

3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

it has an electric choke, seems to be working. once it gets going i can see there is a small arm that i assume is connected to the throttle or the choke. which ever it is it moves slightly right and left and causes a choppy idle, and some times engine pops, when i hold this rod steady the engine idles smoothly.

Dealer keeps telling me that it just has to warm up(phone call) but it never did this before if i can recall. any ideas before i drag it out to them :dizzy:

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure by description??

Depending on where the choke is when it is running smoothly??? If the choke has to be on a little when the engine is warmed up to run smoothly it has a dirty carb and needs to be cleaned...Hard to tell from your description what is what....That maybe the engine governor that you are playing with also???? That would be a carb adjustment also????
    As we used to say at the dealership my crystal ball is a little fuzzy right now.Without hands on hard to tell...

5. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Small engine site

Here is a great site for small engine questions.
    Knowing what engine you have will be very helpful, ie: make, model and serial numbers.
    http://www.perr.com/forum/
    I agree from the sounds of things it maybe a "dirty" carburetor.
    By dirty not only may you have actual dirt particales or water, but a build up of gasoline
    residue (varnish) that plugs the various parts of the carb.
    I operate a small engine repair business and I see some terrible looking carbs. I even had this fall one on a snow blower that the bowl was full of a water and slime mix.
    I would suggest you get the service manual for your engine.
    Todays gasoline is junk. I encourge my customers to use a fuel treatment of there choice.