1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torwel spreaders anyone?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jason Jones, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Jason Jones

Jason Jones Junior Member

:drinkup:Does anyone have firsthand experience in Ace Torwel V Box spreaders or have seen them at snow and ice trade shows. There products have been around for some time and have been popular on the east coast. Here in the mid west there is really any place to buy them yet... I know this will be changing very soon, as dealers are starting to pop up. That’s one reason I was looking into their spreaders. Any help or advice would be great.

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I was approached by ace torwell this year about carrying their spreader line. There intentions are to pre-fab as much of the product as possible and then ship it to the Midwest, Minnesota I think, for final assembly. This is their plan to break into the Midwest market. However, the product's basic design and construction is no different than the products we already have in the midwest from Hiniker, Western, Buyers, Snoway, and Monroe except for three designs.
    The first is the small hopper spreader that only holds about 6 or 8 bags.
    The second is a completely mechanical conveyor drive that uses a horizontal shaft gas engine and no sealed gearbox.
    The third is a hydraulic drive spreader that again used a horizontal gas engine.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. Jason Jones

bliz&hiniker this is true about being not much diff that other products. I did like the idea of hydraulic drive with a gas engine...

what spreader line do you carry now and how do you like them?

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

We sell Hiniker, Snow Ex and Blizzard. We also use all three. Zero complaints about the 5 Hinikers we are running. Also like the one snow Ex but don't trust it enough yet and is a little bit more money. The blizzard is kind of a trinket spreader and more money yet. However I love the doors on mine and the 2.5 yard capacity.
    We push and sell the Hinikers the most because of reliability and price. Also, the spread pattern is the best.

5. bliz&hinikerDLR

I also liked the idea of the hydraulic drive. However I don't like a couple things about torwells setup. The hydro unit was the demo that they brought by.

6. Jason Jones

I also liked the idea of the hydraulic drive. However I don't like a couple things about torwells setup. The hydro unit was the demo that they brought by.

What dont you like about the torwells? besides the price.

7. bliz&hinikerDLR

I didn't say I didn't like the price. I never saw any pricing on them.

The two concerns I had on the hydraulic dive spreader were this:
    It uses a GX 120 Honda which is a great engine in the summer. However past experiences with the Honda in cold weather and on vehicle mounted applications have shown us that a Briggs engine is better suited to use on spreaders.
    The hydraulic system is direct drive. It works exactly the same as a chain and gearbox gas spreader. The faster the engine Rpm, the faster BOTH the conveyor and the spinner turn. This would have been the perfect setup to give us the power and interchangeably of a gas spreader with the control of an electric. Adding a flow control valve for one or both the conveyor and spinner would have given this control.

Then other deciding factor for me was that the company is still going to be based out east. That means any parts I can't get around here will take 2-3 days to get unless I pay for expedited shipping. The costs of adding this line did not outweigh the benefits.

8. randylarson

randylarson Junior Member

Torwel / ACE Torwel Spreaders

From New England, I do like the Torwel / ACE Torwel brand, my farther owned an economizer back in the 70's (2.5 yd) and it still works today! I also have heard they are expanding and will in the mid-west soon. I also know that they offer mechanical, gas hydraulic, hydraulic, and electric drive units across all models.

9. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

We ran them in the past we had 2 salt and pepper spreaders 3yd they worked great had them for 20 yrs and they where mild steel

10. randylarson

randylarson Junior Member

steel is not the perfect material, I'm surprised you got 20 yrs...bet you did some patch work.

11. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

We did a little patching but nothing overly bad replaced the floor under the chain because it wore out but they held up great

12. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

The salt and peppers are Tarco's not torwells.. unless torwell also makes one that I have never saw. But yes, the tarco salt and peppers are great units.