1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torstion bar, lions tigers AND BEARS ....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by zamaro, Jan 11, 2002.

1. zamaro

zamaro Junior Member

So I got the 89 silverardo with no solid front axel... now what?

Front what I hear the front end {something in the front} makes a light kinda ding when i am in 4 wheel drive... anyone out there have any ideas what it might be?

the outer cv joints seem to be ok.... so i am leaving the front shafts in right now...

someone said it might be the torstion bar {i can not spell it}

now what?

Zamaro

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I can't make a lick of sense out of this post. Was there a question somewhere that I missed?

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think he is asking if the torsion bars could be making the dinging sound from his front end.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I don't think he beleives in what Alan states in his signature.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

the torsion bars themselves have a rubber "mount" toward the rear. similar to a motor mount. i have had a knocking sound come from these when they fail.usually when turning hard or when the torsion bar is "worked" aggressivley

inexpensive repair

6. rodnbow1

rodnbow1 Junior Member

check the universal

7. zamaro

zamaro Junior Member

so the rubber mount?

I need to be on the ground next to it when someone drives it so i can see whats happening...

do i need to take apart the front end to change them or can i just "undo a couple bolts and put a new mount in?"

thanks

zamaro

8. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I did not think there was a rubber mount on the 88-98 torsion bar mounts.

9. zamaro

zamaro Junior Member

joey....

i took her for a drive tonight i think it may be the u joints in the front shaft...

I have to get under her and check her out..

zamaro

:p

10. Mac

Mac Member

I had the same thing happen to my 97 K2500HD. When in 4wd it would make a cluck from rev to fwd. and the other way around. It was the hub on the driver side. (its the thing where the wheel bolts to the a-frames and the axel goes in the center of it) Its a common promblem. I see yours is a 89 so no abs but if you did have abs the abs would come on at low speed stop for no reason