1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion springs keep braking

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by JBJ Const., Jan 7, 2013.

1. JBJ Const.

JBJ Const. Junior Member

I have an 8' full trip sno pro and I've broke the right side torsion spring on it twice now . The first time I figured it had sat for a long time so it had a little rust so I changed both springs and put new bushings on it and two days later we got another storm and it broke again . Any idea what would cause this? Is it from stacking snow?
  2. Bison

Bison Member

My money would be on loose plow frame bolts . seems like you have movement in a way it shouldn't be moving
  3. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

This is VERY common issue with Curtis if you actually use the plow. Yes, stacking does contribute ... guess you're not supposed to stack with a Curtis. There use to be a lot of Curtis plows running around here and we all went through a ton (literally, heh heh) of these springs every season.
  4. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i think i can count on one hand the number of times my curtis has tripped. when it does it snaps back very hard. my old western mvp tripped very easy,but it had a shock absorber. i see that its an option with boss plows,wonder if it would help on the curtis?
  5. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I ran the Curtis Sno Pro for 11 years (4 of them) and I too could likely count the number of trips on one hand ... but I ran collectors which virtually eliminated this from happening. The moldboard tripping has nothing to do with these torsion springs snapping off. Poor choice of steel/design is the flaw. They snap when being compressed when stacking. That's my experience anyway.
  6. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

The only spring that has broke on my plow was the jack return spring, and the plow is 10 years old, never any issues stacking snow.