1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion key lift and weight

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Been thinking about doing a torsion bar key lift to pick the front up a little. I am cranked 5 turns now with stock keys. Will re-indexed keys allow me to get a little more lift without limiting the travel, or will I limit the travel no matter what? I'm only concerned because of hanging the 950lb Blizzard off it. I don't want to have the front end too tight, then load it so that there is no front suspension.
    I think I am right in thinking the new keys will give me more room to adjust, but I have trouble picturing the front end geometry. So anyone with real frontend experience that can clarify it for me, I appreciate it.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The new keys only help if the old ones won't lift high enough. If you have your tb bolts cranked all the way in and you still have travel, then get the keys. On your upper control arm at the back there is a stop and you should be able to get your fingers betwwen it at max height. I wouldn't even go that high because your cv's will be on a really bad angle for plowing. IMO I can't see you needing keys. Good luck.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

big giant bandaid for the problem.

turn them a bit for the plow and if you need more for other stuff. get a body lift or other fix of some kind.

my boss had me install a key kit. he had me take it out in 3 days. he said it sucked so bad he couldnt take it anymore.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You might want to reconsider using the re-indexing keys and just replace the T-bars with bars of a higher capacity to help hold the weight of the plow. Do you know which bars are under your truck now? Check them to see if the tag is still on either one of them, if you can read the two digit code on the tag you can identify the weight rating of the bars and then upgrade them to a heavier bar.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

What do you mean tag? Is that something that would be stamped into the bar itself or? This would be something I am interested in. Can anyone tell me more?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The bars would have originally had a decal with letters printed on it wrapped around it. This is used to identify the weight rating of the bar during assembly of the truck. The tag will have a small series of numbers..this is the actual part number of the bar.It will also have a 2 digit letter code..(ie YB,GH, LF) this identifies the weight rating of the bar. GM has 18 different T-bar sets with each set having different weight ratings for different trucks. The bars are actually stamped with the 2 digit letter code also but they're stamped on the end of the bar and it's very difficult to see with the bar installed on the truck.That's why the tag is handy if it's still there...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks B&B, What is the biggest i could put on a 2500hd gmc with a duramax?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He has a 1 ton truck. How is changing the bar going to help with lift. If he is concerned with lift it is the tb adjusting bolt he has to mess with and once this bolt is all the way in and your truck is not high enough, that's when you get new keys. I'm not sure what you do to half tons, I only know heavies. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I just want to know how changing the bar on a 1 ton truck is going to give him lift.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I am just looking at it, so when i mount my boss vee on my truck it wont sag as much. Plus I have timberns on it also, but I am just wanting to help out the front end.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Trust me the bars and keys on a 2500 Hd are fine for what you are doing. My 98, 01 and 02 have 9'2 Boss's on them since new and have had very little trouble with them. Put a Cognito steering and pitman upgrade on your truck and that will help your front end out. Saggy front ends are just a problem us GM owners have to live with. I love the GM front end. JMO

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

T-bars are just like any other spring, the stiffer they are the less they'll sag when weight is applied. When you just turn the adjuster bolt up on the existing bar, all your doing is changing the height at which the suspension "starts out" before the weight is applied.Your not changing the weight capacity of the bar or the torsional stiffness of the bar. If your looking for increased weight capacity, you change the bar, if your just looking for additional height, you change the setting or the torsion keys. Like I mentioned in my previous post, GM has 18 different torsion bar ratings, just because a truck is a 1 ton, it doesn't mean it has the stiffest bars already under it.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The stiffest bar that GM makes is the 9054 (Code "XG") max torque bars. GM rates their bars by "max torque" not by actual weight capacity. They range from 1933 max tq. all the way to the 9054 max tq. bars. That's why you need to find out which bars your truck currently has so you know how far up the scale you need to go. I've done much, much research on T-bars and the majority of 2500Hd's seem to use the 5826 (Code GF) or the 6790 bars (CodeGG) but it does depend on how the truck was optioned.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks B&B I wasn't really understanding everything completely I guess. If you put the heavy bars in I guess it will ride rougher when the blades off then? So there's no standard bar for a 1 ton, they can pick from a few?

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have them cranked 5 times right now, it sits level, looks good and rides very well. I just want to lift it a little more, and was thinking about doing the keys just for lift and to fit 33" tall tires. I've carried the Blizzard two winters now with no problems, but I wouldn't want to switch to different keys and lose suspension travel or capacity. I don't know which bars I have, but I don't think a diesel K3500 would come with wimpy ones. I was planning on a body lift instead, maybe I'll just go that route instead. Lot more work though.
    Thanks for all the replies, even though I'm still confused.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Dan, just count the threads, then crank it up. You won't hurt anything. I use to crank mine up every spring to get my 285's on and then crank them back down for winter and stock tires.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, so your just looking for a little more height, not weight carrying capacity? The keys may add a little height but they wont add any additional travel OR weight capacity. Check you current adjustment on the adjusting bolts and see how much threads are left on the bolt AND check to see how much down travel is left in the suspension before you waste any money on the replacement keys. You only have so much travel in the suspension and if your already close to being "topped out" on the stops at the upper A-arms, the keys won't give you much additional height.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, the heavier bars will ride a little stiffer when unloaded but not as much as a heavy built leaf spring for example, as a torsion bars capacity is "linear" unlike a leaf spring which is "progressive" so it will have less of an impact on the unloaded ride quality.

No there is no single bar just for "one tons". It all depends on the GVWR, the GAWR and the options that the truck was built with.