1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion Bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jryden145, Nov 3, 2006.

1. jryden145

jryden145 Member

We just bought a new 2500 hd 6.0 gas and i was wondering how many turns, to give the torsion bars. I just finished the plow (8.2 boss poly v) and it is also going to get timbrens.

Thanks J

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

4-5 turns and a set of Timberns on the front. I added air bags for the rear of mine for the salt spreader.

Regards Mike

3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Sounds good to me. Just cranked mine 4.5 turns today. I threw the Timbrens in last year. And I'll get some air bags for the back of mine, just as soon as I get a spreader for it!

4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I have an 06 2500HD regular cab long bed and just adding Timbrens did the trick for me. Never bothered to touch the T-bars because all I get is 3/4" sag with the plow raised.

So that begs the question: since so many extended cab and DMax drivers say they have to crank the T-bars, do the regular cab 6.0 trucks handle the load better?

Pete

5. Antnee77

from RI

Well, I didn't HAVE to crank the bars. It doesn't sag any more with the blade on than it does with the blade off. I mainly just cranked them to elimate the factory 'nosedive' look as much as possible. It's not that the 6.0 will handle it better, but it will put less wear and tear on the front suspension after years of service with plows.

6. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Yeah, but you're driving a D/A, right? A regular cab long box with a 6L gasser has a lot less weight up front. And my 2500HD feels a LOT different than driving my friend's extended cab. Mine' s much more rigid. Just wondering if different configurations handle the weight differently.

Pete

7. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

I have the same truck! What kind of plow do you have & did you have to cut the air dam? I bought a set of Timbrens for the front and I am getting an 8' Boss Super Duty. The Boss dealer says they crank the T Bars 4 turns to avoid cutting the air dam, not necessarily to hold up the plow. At least that's what I think they say.

thanks

hillndale

8. Antnee77

from RI

Yep it's a D/A. Last season, I plowed with Timbrens up front and 1100# in the bed. This year, I'm attempting the torsion bar crank just to eliminate the factory 'squat' that all the HD trucks are notorious for. It has little to do with the plow being there. I will eventually buy a 2-3" leveling kit for my truck. I'm sure after 10 years of service, your truck's suspension will be in a lot better shape than mine. But I'm really not crazy about Torsion bar suspensions anyhow.

9. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I had such good luck with the 7.5 Curtis on my 1500 that I stayed with Curtis (an 8 footer) when I upgraded to a 2500HD. I really like the way the hydraulic jack lets you compensate when the plow settles into the mud in the off season. I'd have to check the specs, but I think the plow comes in at about 770# and yes, the air dam was cut on either side but I was able to keep the tow hooks. It really doesn't look bad, and the receiver is really unobtrusive when the plow's not mounted.

Boss is a good plow. So is Blizzard, but the mounting mechanism is pretty unforgiving when the plow settles in the mud. Folks in cities or with paved areas to store their stuff don't have that problem, but the nearest pavement to me is about a mile away so dealing with mud is part of life for me. Even in nasty conditions, it takes me less than a minute to mount or dismount my Curtis.

Pete

10. Antnee77

from RI

I hear ya! I don't have a problem at all since I store it inside my shop which is all cement floor.

11. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Crank 'em. If you find the ride suffers, get a set of SuspensionMaxx adjustable keys. They bring the ride back and allow clearance.

12. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a 2006 2500 HD about how many turns can you put on the torsion bars before you need to have it aligned, or should I turn them up and have the alignment checked any way? I'm trying to get to the 11 1/4 " that Meyer reccomends for the clevis clearance on the EZ mount plus. I will also be adding some Timbrens.

13. flykelley

Hi wmsland
    I have owned both a reg cab 2500 HD and now a ext cab 2500 HD, I cranked both trucks 5 turns and have had no problems with a alignment with either truck. I would also add Timberns on the front. On my ext cab I bought a set of air bags for the rear to help carry the Snowex 8000, and it handles the weight just fine.

Regards Mike

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I'm surprised you need airbags for the 8000. Even heaped as high as I can, I never had a squat problem. Those things just don't hold that much.

15. flykelley

That bumper will drag the ground, Im not willing to tear my truck up with that much weight. The bags are only about 250.00 a set and are simple to install, cheap ins in my mind.

Regards Mike

16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I agree it's cheap ins, I'm just saying I never had the problem.

17. jlsk624

jlsk624 Junior Member
    from Pa

Bought Green torsion bar keys for my 2500hd and it took about 1 hour with proper tools and adjusting to get it to sit level and add some height for my 8ft fisher with wings, the new keys cost about 19.00 each from GM