1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by apalermo, Nov 4, 2004.

1. apalermo

apalermo Member

hey gang,i just got my artic mount installed on my 1990 1/2 ton pick up.3350 lbs.front end.my question is thay did not touch my torsions.my truck sits high up.i went home and put the 7.6 poly plow on.and the truck went down but the bottom of the mount is still about 8 inches above the ground.the steering is quite tough to turn to.do you think the torsions should be cranked.also no timbrens istalled.truck is sitting high has about a 3 inch lift.but the front is only 3350 lbs.please let me know if i should go back and tell them to crank the torsions.thanks.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you have a standard weight plow on your half ton. Probably weighs in the area of 750 lbs.
    Too heavy,should be in the area of 550 lbs. If this is a new plow, did you buy from a dealer.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

what do you have for ballast in the back?
    how many inches does the nose drop when you raise the blade?
    what kind of lift do you have? spindle or tbar or green keys or what?
    about what angle are your cv joints at when unloaded just sitting there?
    also and slightly unrelated......are your tires aired up to thier max level?

4. apalermo

apalermo Member

actually the bottom of the mount sits about 10 to 12 inches above the ground ,once the plow is in the air it is about 8 to 10 inches high.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

So you drop 2" or so? What about how much ballast and what kinda lift?

6. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

i drop about 2 inches too, but i dont have any weight in the back yet

7. apalermo

apalermo Member

hey gang ,thebottom of the a frame is about 6 inches above the ground when the plow is in the air.the bottom of the mount is about 7.5 inches above the ground.if i put ballsast in the back will the a frame be higher thean 5 inches.or will timbrems solve the problem.

8. Bolts Indus.

What is the weight of your plow??

9. apalermo

apalermo Member

torsion bar

hey bolts,how are you, the plow is a poly arctic 7.6 which is 635 lbs.the truck drives fine wiht no weight in the back yet.the concern is that the a frame is about 6 inches from the floor when the plow is in the air.the bottom of the mount is about 7.5 inches.form the ground.the a frame is to low.will weight or timbrems solve this or which of the too.

10. Bolts Indus.

On level ground, with the plow down look at the A frame of the plow. ( truck to moldboard) It should look level with the ground. If the truck end of the A frame seems below level it is an under carriage problem. My 1/2 ton chev has the torsion bars ( no timbrens, shouldn't need them) cranked up 5 full turns. Sits fine. 500 lbs. ballast in bed should bring your front back up about an inche.