1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bars

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mxman, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mxman

mxman Junior Member
    from ma

I have a 07 chevy 4x4 2500 with a 8.5 fisher plow on it. Sometimes front wheels hit wheel wells. I cranked up the torsion bar bolts 8 turns but I would like to crank them even more. How much can I safely crank up the torsion bars. I don't want to do any damage to the torsion bars. Also can you get hurt over tightening those bolts
    Thanks

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

If i were you i would get a leveling kit and turn the bars down a couple turn, and that should do the trick for you. are you just looking to carry the weight better or looking for a nice stance when the plow is dismounted? either way i would think that they are to high but then again my buddy cranked his all the way up on a 3500hd srw for the stance!

3. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

You can crank them alot before anything will happen. I had mine maxed out then replaced the keys with the 1/2 ton keys because they are keyed slightly more to start with and got even more out of them. 40k with not a single problem.

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

After cranking up the torsions, remember you'll need a front end alignment. Hitting the wheel wells? Seems extreme. Are you running any ballast? You should be running minimum 500-600 lbs behind the rear axle.

5. mxman

mxman Junior Member
    from ma

Forgot to tell you, I also put a1200 lb concrete block for ballast in the bed of the truck. And should I jack the truck up when I adjust the torsion bars.
    Thanks

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What size tires? Where is the weight in the bed?

7. mxman

mxman Junior Member
    from ma

stock tires, ballast is over the rear axle. front tires only hit when I am turning.

8. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Yes , jack truck up.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Move the weight back, as far as it will go. Build a frame or brace to keep it from sliding forward in an accident.

Timbrens on the front will help greatly.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

its a lot easier to adjust the tbars with the front end jacked up