1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bars, timbrens, or both?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DMR95, Dec 9, 2005.

1. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

I'm new to this site and have a few questions about having a plow on my truck, a 1995 chevy cheyenne WITHOUT a plow prep package. I know that there are plenty of other questions that people have listed about cranking up torsion bars, timbrens, etc. I've looked over a lot of those postings and I've noticed that almost everybody has a bigger truck than I do so thats why im asking about my little half ton...
    I dont do a lot of plowing compared to companies that have fleets of trucks that will be out for 24 hours at a time but i do all of the plowing i can with the time i have. I was curious about whether or not i should crank up my torsion bars on my truck or get a set of timbrens for the front. As far as i can tell, timbrens are bigger bump-stops and would make somewhat of a difference in how far my front end drops with the plow on it. I've also read that cranking up the torsion bars would help me out, but then i would need to lower them again during the off-season or keep them cranked up and get an alignment...
    I'm still in high school and i love my truck. Its my everyday driver and i dont have a lot of money to be putting into it if i screw something up. I know you guys know a lot about what youre talking about so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
    Dennis

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

What are you using for a plow? I cranked 3 turns on my 1 ton, no Timbrens, carries the 950# Blizzard just beautiful. I went up to 600# of ballast this year, only because the plow is so much heavier than my Fishers were. If you go with a 7 1/2 foot plow, I don't think you'll need Timbrens, if you try to run an 8 you probably should get them. I have a couple friends with plow size problems, one is an old full size blazer with an 8' Fisher, if he goes uphill the rear tires start to spin because they are hardly on the ground! The other guy has a new F350 SRW with a huge contractor cap full of tools. Even with the weight, he couldn't carry an 8' Diamond plow without Timbrens. It was pretty lame, a supposedly 1 ton truck not being able to carry an 8 foot straight blade. He would spin the rear tires even on dry pavement trying to drive away from a stoplight. Timbrens help him out a lot. The only thing I don't like about them is I get the impression they are a cheap temporary fix for a bigger problem. I had a set installed on a heavy wrecker in the rear, made the truck a lot better on the highway, but it had no suspension travel in the back and rode awful on back roads. I didn't like the idea of artificially boosting the trucks rear ride height with rubber blocks, instead of beefing up the actual suspension itself.

3. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

Im using a meyer st-7.5 and i checked their website and found out that the complete weight of the unit is 656#. So it sounds like timbrens arent really what i would want, right? If i cranked the torsion bars 2-3 turns would i still be able to drive on the highway without an allignment? Thanks again for helping me out with this.

4. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

hey i got a 99 silverado 1500 with a 7 1/2 western plow-- I installed timbrens and didn't touch torsion bars-- the front only drops about an inch when plow is lifted.(to me cranking the torson bars only seems to make the truck level and doesn't help the ride quality) timbrens helped a lot with the quality of the ride; with and with out the plow on.

5. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

how do the timbrens handle when driving off road (without the plow on of course)?

6. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

i haven't had the truck off road yet with the timbrens installed...(just installed them about two weeks ago when i put my plow on) the truck handeled pretty well off-road without the timbrens im not sure if it will effect it that much. i only really go muddin not much else -what type of offroad are u doin

7. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

I take my truck up on the sand dunes at silver lake (michigan) a few times every summer. Other than that, i drive it wherever i need to go or wherever looks fun... nothing too hardcore though