1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bars on gmc sierra

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by serafii, Dec 1, 2009.

1. serafii

serafii Senior Member

i wanna give my torsion bars a few extra turns for the winter but im curious as to how many turns you guys out there are giving.

i have a 2006 reg cab long box gmc sierra 2500hd 6.6 duramax with a 7.6 fisher minute mount 2
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would start with 3-4 equal turns. You just dont want to turn them up all the way, it might be too much for them and snap if you hit a bump or dip while driving.
  3. serafii

serafii Senior Member

yah thats what everyone is telling me around that if they are to tight they can snap, but i gave them 5 turns and my plow still hits every little imperfection in the road and even speed bumps. i gave them another 4-5 turns which gives me between 9-10 turns total. is that asking for things to break?
  4. pusher21

pusher21 Member

We just gave our plow truck 8 turns each. Its a 2010 GMC 2500HD with a 6ltr and a 9'2" boss V-XT. You should be ok. We have done it before with out any problems
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to bottom out the adjusting bolts with no problem. What part are you claiming will snap? The bolt?
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

But I wouldn't suggest doing that. I also want to know what would snap, I bet it was a Ford or Dodge guy that told him somethig would snap.:drinkup:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Is the mount hitting or what? That's a little plow. I don't turn the bars up on my trucks and don't have an issue. Just put a set of Timbrens on her.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How much does the truck sag when you lift the plow? And do you need to shorten your lift chain on the plow?
  9. jtslawncare

jtslawncare Member

I give mine 5 or 6 turns i measure it after 2 turns to make sure both sides are equal. .just make sure you dont go to many turns cause you will mess with uneven tire wear. .
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What's a lift chain? ;)

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

With 5-6 turns you should realign.
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's this awesome way of lifting your plow. You get instant float, and can "short chain" your plow if you have a hydraulic failure....
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Head over to your local boat dock and ask them to show you an example Dave. Should be clear from there.

Still waiting on the pic...since this is in the pics forum. :D
  14. serafii

serafii Senior Member

the mechanic who claimed things would snap didnt specify he just said u can really mess tings up because its too stiff but who knows what hes talking about

the truck already has timbrens and it sags quite a bit, even with about 700lbs of weight in the bed, and i shortened the chains to the point where the a-frame touches the bottom of the mount b4 the cylinder is fully lifted.

the main reason why i had to crank the t-bars wasnt because the plow was hitting the ground, it was because when id pull into a driveway with a slight slope, the push plates and mount would smack the floor.

i was already aware of the uneven tire wear bu that doesnt bother me too much i change my tires every winter anyways..

im trying to post a picture of the truck but its not letting me upload it
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

float i have that built right into my controller when i press down twice. But i dont know what hydraulic failure is sir. I plow with a Boss. xysport
  16. jtslawncare

jtslawncare Member

My uncle said 5-6 turns cuz it doesnt effect it that much. . We checked it at his shop:)
  17. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

My 94 is cranked up about 1.25 inches. Cant remeber how many bolt turns that is...
  18. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

my 04 hd are all the way in. made my truck sit level and my 285s dont rub. if you do go all the way in its less harmful then a leveling kit. but make sure you get a alignment right away
  19. D DeSantis

D DeSantis Member

My mechanic jacked it about an inch on our 08gm 7.5 plow doesn't dip very much.
    hey another montrealer what part??
  20. serafii

serafii Senior Member

d desantis im from the lasalle area but all my work is in westount

wat about you?