1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bars on 2003hd.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by prct2, Nov 23, 2004.

1. prct2

prct2 Junior Member
    from midwest

my dealer told me not to crank up the bars on my truck. has anybody had any problems after doing this.
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Mine have been turned up 5 full turns for 2 years. Run a 950 lb. 810 on it and it runs straight as an arrow with no uneven tire wear. Your dealer?????
  3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Well, if you don't crank them up, you will have problems because you can't get the plow off the ground. I had got a 2001 2500 HD in 2001 and once I got the plow put on (Meyers V-plow about 960#) I went back to the dealer and politely told them that they could fix the truck so it can carry the plow or they were getting the truck back. They cranked the springs 6 turns before I left there. I ended up adding some Timbrens later too.

The best thing to do is crank them 3 or 4 turns and put on a set of Timbrens. I just got a 2004 HD and did exactly that. Seems to carry my new Blizzard 810 pretty good. I think that 3 turns raises the front end about 1 inch or so. Depending on the weight of your plow, it will still bottom out when you hit a bump. That is where the Timbrens come in. :nod:
  4. Bolts Indus.

As stated before, mine are cranked 5 turns and my Blizzard 810 950 lbs. never bottoms out on bumps. Suggest you try 5 turns. I have never needed or used timbrens on my trucks.
  5. prct2

prct2 Junior Member
    from midwest

thanks for the info. i will do that picking up new boss 8.6 straight blade tomorrow. i am new to this site you guys are great thanks a lot.
  6. apalermo

apalermo Member

what kind of truck do you have?
  7. Bolts Indus.

97 GMC 1 ton dually with 454 engine and Blizzard 810 ( 950 lbs. )
  8. George C

George C Senior Member

I've always been a Ford man. Still am..
    While shopping for a second truck, I bought a 2500HD just because my local dealer practically gave it to me. With incentives, the truck was $6,800.00 under invoice. So GM I went!

Since I've never owned an IFS, I was a little leary.
    After a set of Timbrens and 4 1/2 turns, the truck carries the plow amazingly well. Infact, I'm impressed.
    I did it all myself, and in my driveway in about 15 minutes.
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is likely that you do not even need the Timbrens to begin with, I have never needed our used them on my GM IFS truck.
  10. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Other than possible alignment and tire wear problems, keep an eye on your front drive shaft angles. I've been told for longevity purposes to keep the shafts as close to straight as you can. When your pushing a pile of snow putting a lot of torque to the front drive shafts, chances are the weight of the plow you are compensating for is 90% gone and your shafts are at steeper than necessary angles. Yes turning the tires puts the outer joints at angles, but for only a short time. Now when you are pushing a mountain of wet snow while turning applying a boat load of torque to the way out of line front joints, I think you are asking for a world of trouble. I used to plow with a K-2500 and I did put about 1 1/2 turns just to help out. I had planned to install Timbrens but traded trucks. One more thought, if you do raise the front end, don't forget to re-adjust your pushbar height if necessary.
  11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I crank the t-bars up 5 turns each winter to gain a 1 1/2 inches.
    I turn them back down every summer. Not a problem with tires,
    alignment, or front end parts on any of the IFS GMs I have had.
    (knock on wood!)............geo :drinkup:
  12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

What does IFS stand for. I have never heard that before.

Regards Mike
  13. Robo

Robo Senior Member

IFS= independant front suspension
  14. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If you carry enough ballast/weight in rear of truck this is not really a issue becasue the rear axle will do the lions share of the work and it should to because it is the stronger axle of the two.
  15. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I think it is an issue and that is why I offered my opinion. When my truck is in four wheel drive, the power is split 50/50, right? Now, if the front axle is receiving the same amount of power, how is the rear axle doing the lions share of the work? Please don't quote me and then tell me why I'm wrong. Thank you.
  16. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

6 turns on the driver, 5 turns on the passenger, 2,500 miles, no issues, yet. Like was stated earlier just keep an eye on your axle angles. Each truck is set up differently so results will vary. The best way to do this is to just replace the torsion bar keys with either the green keys or the ford keys. Most times after doing this you won't have to crank at all but it is a little more work.