1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bars adjustment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by samjr, Jan 2, 2015.

1. samjr

samjr Senior Member

i just got my torsion bars turned up today the guy said he did 5 full turns is that too much 8.5 EZ-V on a gmc 2007.5 NBS D-max. I got Firestone air shocks in there too but i thought the plow was too much just for air shocks

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Mine have been turned 5 turns for 7 years now with a set of timbres

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I run a straight Fisher 8 foot minute mount 2

4. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Boss dealer that installed my VXT turn mine up 4 turns, said thats the limit without changing alignment. There will be some that say any change in torsion requires realignment but thats what I found out.

5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I took mine up 3 1/2 turns, and put Timbrens in 3 years ago. No problems with tire wear. I'm really pleased with the improvement in carrying the plow.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

don't forget to counter balance it

7. Kuttingedge

Kuttingedge Junior Member

My 06 gmc torsion bars turned 10 times with an 8foot poly arctic plow
    And my 2012 duramax not turned at all with 8foot poly v plow... Not sure what's up with that....?

8. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

2011 - newer have much stronger bars and suspension. Holds a plow much better. Especially if it has a plow package. 2001-2010 trucks plow package made no difference on torsion bars,, 2011 newer have bigger bars with the plow package

9. JAJA

JAJA Member

Are you sure cause I had heard that old nbs plow prep had next up torsion bars or something like that could be wrong just what I heard

10. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

All diesel bars are the same on 2001-2010 diesel trucks, doesn't matter on cab, bed, snow plow prep or 2500,3500

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

FWIW... Front of my 2015 GMC2500HD w/ snow plow prep package and 7.5' BOSS hanging off the front barely drops at all with T-bars untouched.

12. Kuttingedge

Kuttingedge Junior Member

My 2012 also...1/4 inch and that is with
    No ballast..does it help that it is a crew cab?
    My single cab has a bad rake if I have no weight in back

13. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

CC would add more weight on the front and increase chance of needing to adjust bars I would think? I have a double cab long bed. No counterweight, but I did add 210# ballast directly over the wheel wells on both sides, so 420# total. Have not hooked up plow since.

14. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

You can crank the torsion bars all the way up, GM designed them with adjustability in mind and to keep you within the factory parameters. I usually do 6-10 turns when installing a plow.

Timbrens are always a good idea.

Air shocks are not needed, I would much prefer Bilstein shocks, don't forget the front shock spacer.

15. jerpa

jerpa Member

You can still easily exceed the factory "z" height by turning the torsion bars. 4 turns on my 2013 2500HD took it slightly out of spec. Although I had an alignment done nothing else was too far out and it wasn't necessary. The owners manual does state you can adjust the torsion bars with no mention of a limit so if a warranty issue comes up they SHOULD cover it.