1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion bar ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JK828, Aug 5, 2008.

1. JK828

JK828 Junior Member

I was going to crak up my torsion bars today and when I got under the truck, I noticed that the driver side adjusting bolt only has 4 threads showing and the passenger side has at least twice as many showing. I have owned the truck since new and never did any other adjustments. Is this common to have such a difference in factory settings and should I just leave them alone?
  2. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

i have an 02 3/4 ton hd and have the same thing.... just assumed a really fat guy owned the truck before me... haha.... but been running it like this for over a year and no problems yet. i would just leave it alone
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Totally normal JK, and it's almost always the dr side that has the least amount of adjustment left in the adjuster threads on these trucks as the factory sets the truck to level specs (which is why they have adjustment in them in the first place). And what side of the truck has more weight on it? The dr side of course since the fuel tank, battery, and at least the driver are always on the left side. The T-case also favors the dr side too.

You can still turn the T-bars up. The determining factor on how far you can go of course is the side that has the least amount of threads remaining...which again in case is 4 turns on the dr side. So if you want to go up all 4 turns you can simply turn the dr side up the 4 turns you have left and then turn the pass side up the same exact amount...raising the truck equally on both side and keeping it level in the process. Simple.
  4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Sorry a quick q. Does cranking your t bars permentaly hurt the truck at all?
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A little too general of a question but overall, no.

It mostly depends on HOW MUCH you change them from stock and where they were to begin with. The suspension on these trucks actually has more range of movement capability than the upper ball joints can tolerate over a long period of time so thats actually your greatest wear item.

Everyone worries about CV angles but it's the upper BJ's and the shock that are the limiting factor/wear items with raising the suspension, and running it a great deal higher than where the normal range of suspension movement is can wear the upper BJ's and shocks (if there too short, many are). Moderation is the key.

Now on the other hand if you run a set of aftermarket upper control arms (that address the BJ angle severity) and a set of proper length shocks.... you can run the bars completely out of threads and never have a problem.
  6. deere615

ok, I want to replace my leaf springs in my half ton with 3/4 ton leaf springs But I want to inexpensively lift my front a little too just so the truck doesn't look dumb
  7. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I want to do something to my 3/4 ton because it "looks dumb", everybody tells me Im worrying too much. I beg to differ, Im not alone on this. My 3" body lift comes tomorrow. Ill have the badest 2wd in town!:nod:
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then go ahead and give it all four turns that you have left on the dr adjuster bolt. May or may not be enough to level it up, but it should get it close. Won't hurt anything...
  9. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I think this guy's got coils up front... (half-ton)
  10. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

11. deere615

amen! lol.
  12. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

coils on the new body style, but not the gmt 800 platform. 99-07 classic. i had a 00 1500 ex, i swapped the torsion bars and the springs to 3/4 ton stuff. i used to plow with it also and the 7.5 was a bit heavy for the front of it. my 285-75 would rub like hell. i used the 8200# torsion bars and standard 3/4 ton springs. never had an issue with them. truck rode more like a truck and wouldn't handle corners as nice but it is a truck and did me fine. good luck.