1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion bar ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jasf, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jasf

jasf Member

If you turn them up do you need an alignment? The 4x4 sites say you need to get a lifetime deal from Sears or Goodyear if you play with the bars. I've never seen anyone post about a re-alignment on here.
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

It's true that if you turn them up you would need an alignment.

But.... when you add the weight of the plow the front end drops, and then you would need another alignment.

So.... I would think that if you measured the front end of the truck's frame without the plow on, and matched that height with the plow mounted (with the blade down) by raising the torsion bar you could avert this problem of having to change the alignment in the spring and fall.

I don't know... mine's a Ford and I make plenty of money in the winter so I don't mind purchasing tires for it.
    Plus I can write them off at tax time.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mebes, isn't it nice not having to worry about torsion bars? :nod:
  4. I'm sure its nice not having to worry about the torsion bars. :rolleyes: But its really nice being able to lift your truck with a socket :nod:

I don't readjust my bars, I just had them turned to where I like the height and stiffness, then had it aligned. I don't see any need to readjust for the plow being on it, its not like you drive thousands of miles with it raised. :eek:
  5. jasf

jasf Member

Hey guys mine is a Ford. Not a real truck,but a Ranger. I've been researching LD plows & some of dealers have suggested turning the bars.
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It is not that critical with a GM truck. A inch this way or that is not going to make any real diference in alignement but all the way up or down would as it would throw off the camber and caster a bit which might make it wander a bit more and maybe effect tire wear some too but nothing like a Ford TTB front end as they can eat tires no matter what you do to them.