1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torsion bar?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by trevier, Dec 13, 2012.

1. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I have a 2007 chevy classic model 1500, I'd like to crank up the front end to get it level, is this hard to do, any special tools and do I have to get it re-aligned after I do it, thanks matt
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No should just be15 or 18mm. Best to jack up the tk tho makes it a little easier. Count the turns, same on both sides as far as realign,,,depends. One or three turns I'd say no but watch your tire wear. Alotta cranking,,then yes align
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and as a tech who does a lot of work and alignments any time you adjust ride hight it WILL change the specs and need realignment. price of tires these days you wana chance it ? ? ?
  4. MKC

MKC Junior Member

torsion bar level

I adjusted mine on a 01 2500HD, bought new cam keys for it, have a slightly different angle. counting the turns and measureing front and back to get it right. Got to get that alignment done too.
  5. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

I had an 01 1500 maxed the torsion bars to put an 8ft plow on and left them maxed without an alignment, it took a year but killed the front tires so yes get the alignment done jmo
  6. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman Member

Buy a set of keys and get a front end alignment...keys are important. Cranking up the front end just makes the front end have more preload and with a plow it will be great, But with out the front end will top out when you hit a bump and you will not like the ride.
    I have a 2012 Denali with a duramax and Installed keys to make the truck level when empty...when the plow is on it is fine(almost stock) And no compromise on ride quality.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

New Keys are not required if you can obtain the desired height by adjusting the stock keys. Adjusting the height has no impact on the torsion bar preload.
  8. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I am going to say this one last time. Turning up the T-bars does not give them any more spring rate. You are just rotating the bar so the suspension moves down more. The bars only twist so much. If you put a plow on a truck without turning up the bars and it drops 1". After you turn up the T-bars the plow will still drop the truck 1". You are just starting at a higher point.
  9. MKC

MKC Junior Member

mossman is right. I put new keys in, leveled my 01 HD, got alignment done, put a C-9 meyer plow on it, it went down quick. (800 just for the blade). installed timbrens, and it barely dips it now. the ride is rough without the 800 lbs though.