1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

torsion bar, timbrens, front end question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikemac, Dec 18, 2005.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

i just bought a pair of timbrens for my 99 1500 silverado. before installing them, i was looking under the truck and saw that the front end is almost resting on the bumpstop without the plow on. has this happened to anyone else? obviously with the timbrens installed, they would definately be compressed without the plow on. should i crank the torsion bars to raise the truck so the timbrens won't be compressed without the plow on?

2. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

Had the same situation on my previous truck- 2001 GMC 2500hd xcab.

From what I understand, the OEM 'bump stops" are actually supposed to be an active part of the suspension, not just act as travel limiters.
    I did install Timbrens on the front and it carried the plow much better and did not seem to affect the truck when the plow wasn't on.
    Now I have to get another set for my current truck.

Good luck,
    John

3. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

i just got don't cranking my 2500 with timberns too. You don't have to crank them but i wanted all the clearance i can get when the plow is locked up

4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I have the same truck and same situation. I put on the timbrens but did not touch anything else.Truck rides fine with and without the plow.